PDA

View Full Version : Final microcontroller/hardware/software decision

alligator
04/17/2002, 02:26 PM
It looks like we have gotten some significant feedback to the architecture and microcontroller issues.

Although open debate is good, I'd like to select a final design to keep us from debating the issues to death.

Here are the final parameters:

The controller will be a hybrid system consisting of a PC for advanced features, data logging, software upgrades, and maintenance schedules with the software being written in Visual Basic. The controller box will feature the senor inputs for; water levels, temperature, pH and ORP and control for lighting and other electrical devices via X10.

The microcontroller will be the Atmel AVR series for both the main microcontroller and for the module controllers. The main controller will be the AT90LS8535. Instead of a PCB, we will use the eval board since it has an RS232 interface, 2MB data flash for datalogging, hardware for programming the device in circuit and for programming external devices, and has an expansion connector for plug-in modules that we could use for the sensor, probe, and interface circuits.

Now - the next step is to select teams for each component that needs to be developed.

More information will follow when we have the next steps determined.

alligator
04/23/2002, 11:43 AM
Here is what I see happening for the teams:

Teams Needed:
1. Visual Basic Programmers for the PC portion.
2. Sensor team (already established) for the sensors and probes
3. Hardware team for the microcontroller and interface with sensors, computer, and external devices.

The sensor team has already been working for quite some time. The major participants appear (from previous posts) to be:

BSide
bstreib
DJ88
Schwaggs
Snailman

We now need volunteers for the programming and hardware teams. I'll send those people who previously volunteered a message requesting their participation for a specific team based upon their expressed interest.

First, this is fun. You don't need to participate unless you want to. Second, you can participate on more than one team, just let me know.

We will need leaders for a team, volunteers are also being accepted for those positions.

Now we get down to the fun part - lets design it and build it!

BSide
04/26/2002, 06:03 PM
just FYI...

I'll be hanging out and monitoring things, and giving suggestions if I can be of assistance, but won't be able to commit energies/resources to this project right now... so you probably don't want to specifically put me on a "team" :-) Thanks for the nod though! I'd like to go a slightly different direction, but more than that, I've got a lot of other things going on right now competing for my attention (I've even stopped building the reef tank I was working on, until the summer probably).

alligator
05/02/2002, 12:46 PM
Rather than try to "force" people to participate in teams, it might be better to just ask for people to volunteer.

Is there anyone out there who would like to lead or participate on any of the above mentioned teams?

This does NOT involve a significant amount of work - you can certainly participate at will.

If we can't get people to put forth at least a little effort, this project may not last.

Anyone?

DJ88©
05/03/2002, 12:53 PM
Alligator,

Just so ya know I am in the process of writing finals.

I have all my equipment(except my new oscope that gets here in a week or so) ready to go and start prototyping a few ideas and such.

I am off all summer and am planning on working on this and a few other little gadjets all summer.

Didn't want you to think I have disappeared off of this.

:)

marklp77
05/06/2002, 02:15 PM
Hi,

I'm a mid-level VB programmer (4 yrs. experience) with access to senior programmers. I'd be more than happy to participate.

Mark

foxah
05/06/2002, 10:53 PM
Hello,

My name is Adam. I would like to lend a hand where needed for your project. I am a degreed electrical engineer with specialization in embedded systems and controls. I have specific experience with ATMEL and Motorola microcontrollers and micro-processors. I have access to Orcad Schematic and Layout for PCB design. I also am very competant coding C, Perl, and assembly.

One caveat I wanted to mention about the 90LS8535 line... ATMEL is discontinuing this line of processors and controllers this year and replacing them with a newer redesigned model. The new line should be software compatible from a instruction set point of view, however electrical characteristics, footprints, and on chip feature sets will most likely change. Just something to think about especially because you are basing the design off an eval board, for a chip which wont exist soon.

One more thing... I do not know if this has already been covered, but I hope this group effort is going to be released under some sort of GPL for the software as well as the hardware. I really don't want to be putting my efforts into something which someone else is going to be making a nickle off of. :-(

Please email me at foxah@yahoo.com if you have any questions or when I can lend a hand.

Talk to you all soon,
Adam