PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU want in a club

sirreal63
03/16/2006, 02:11 AM
We are asking the people who frequent this new forum to tell us the things you would like to see in a club. What we want are your ideas on events that would be fun and informative.

The rules of this this thread are simple...ask no questions, just voice your ideas on what would make the club better for you and the group. This is a fact finding thread only. We actually want your ideas and are offering the opportunity for you to be instrumental in the direction that this club goes.

Sounds like fun doesn't it? Please keep it civil and respectful. :)

JxMetal
03/16/2006, 02:30 AM
More hands on.......
More meeting......

Don't make it feel like a chore.
For instance "Every 6th day of the month we meet"

Be a little spontaneous

Make the meeting not so.....be there and be gone.
Make it worth the trip and worth the time.

Not everything has to be totally reef related either.

jwalters103
03/16/2006, 03:08 AM
meeting dates and times that vary so people are not excluded solely because of their schedule

latazyo
03/16/2006, 03:25 AM
suggest social time following the meeting, i.e. BBQ, pizza, etc

frag/livestock/equp auction/trade at each meeting (we did this and its great)

find out where everyone's expertise is so they can help others...i.e. "jason" is good at plumbing, darren at electrical stuff, etc

main thing is social and informal setting that is not intimidating, but still gets the job done

dphins
03/16/2006, 07:44 AM
Tank of the month contest. Photo of the month contest and so on. Like what was suggested before.

jimmyleg
03/16/2006, 09:13 AM
What about tank tours? I'm always interested in seeing how others approach putting together their systems and such, and the variety.

On a given meeting date, if two or three willing reefers were located close enough to one another the group could tour their tanks. Could be coordinated so that people didn't arrive en masse, perhaps along the lines of a house tour or open house.

scbadiver
03/16/2006, 09:27 AM
I like more "social" and less "meeting". There is a wealth of knowledge here that is, many times, easier to benefit from in a less formal atmosphere. More friendly :)

stlouisguy
03/16/2006, 09:37 AM
No three pages of bylaws. I dont want to be part of a formal organization, but rather a club whose purpose is to have fun and learn from others.

Frag growth contests. Everyone gets a frag and three month later we submit pics of it

Posted wish list. If I knew who wanted green star polops right now I have tons to just give away.

Phone list and locations of other reefers. I have no idea, other than Roy, who lives near me.

No "us" and "them"

Wet T-shirt contests for local girls (but we MUST use saltwater!!!)

Okay I think Im out of ideas

DrBDC
03/16/2006, 09:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6966963#post6966963 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stlouisguy

This is starting to sound really good! :lol:

Ocicat
03/16/2006, 11:16 AM
A club that is equally comfortable for both genders... rather than feeling too much like a boys' club.

:rolleyes:

saltyunderground
03/16/2006, 11:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6967728#post6967728 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ocicat
A club that is equally comfortable for both genders... rather than feeling too much like a boys' club.

:rolleyes: Ditto and thank you.

Shooter7
03/16/2006, 11:18 AM
ah, I knew the ladies would LOVE the wet t-shirt angle. We could have nook and capncapo dance around in their assorted leopard print wear to even things out. :D

saltyunderground
03/16/2006, 11:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6967745#post6967745 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shooter7
ah, I knew the ladies would LOVE the wet t-shirt angle. We could have nook and capncapo dance around in their assorted leopard print wear to even things out. :D Throw in a lap dance and you're on.

capncapo
03/16/2006, 11:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6967745#post6967745 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shooter7
ah, I knew the ladies would LOVE the wet t-shirt angle. We could have nook and capncapo dance around in their assorted leopard print wear to even things out. :D

There's not enough money in the world! Besides, at my advanced age I could break a hip! :D

ramtheory
03/16/2006, 11:42 AM
A reef buddy program where people are paired up to a newbie or new member. Help them acclimate not be so shy make sure they have met and know everyone. Neighbors, friends, mentors.

A buddy sign up, and a new member sign up. Just a thought.

ramtheory
03/16/2006, 11:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6967785#post6967785 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capncapo
There's not enough money in the world! Besides, at my advanced age I could break a hip! :D

Greg I would pay you not to do it. :lol:

Markk96
03/16/2006, 11:49 AM
Hmmm

I would like to see the Club that has some really good quality carpenters, drywallers, painters, plumbers that are free, and that they can come over help get my basement done so I can get my tank up :D

DARKSILENTTYPE
03/16/2006, 11:52 AM
Family events would be nice . You know places that the whole family kids included could be part of this hobby .

capncapo
03/16/2006, 11:54 AM
We'll have to get back to you on that one Mark ....... don't hold your breath.:D

Letmegrow
03/16/2006, 12:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6966963#post6966963 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stlouisguy

That probly would cause a rash, it would be the best worst wet -T shirt contest ever.

Putting my creativity and reef keeping skills together I suggest using COLD RO WATER.

latazyo
03/16/2006, 12:54 PM
ramtheory's idea about the new member w/ old member is a great idea

fade32
03/16/2006, 12:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6968500#post6968500 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by latazyo
ramtheory's idea about the new member w/ old member is a great idea

You might get some takers if you would change your sig I would not want a Chisled sawhorse running around my wife. :lol:

stlouisguy
03/16/2006, 01:40 PM
could have nook and capncapo dance around in their assorted leopard print wear to even things out. :D

This is against forum rules. If this isnt flaming I dont know what is

;)

zt444a
03/16/2006, 01:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6967753#post6967753 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyunderground
Throw in a lap dance and you're on.

Now you guys are scaring me...

:eek1:

Ocicat
03/16/2006, 02:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6968844#post6968844 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stlouisguy
This is against forum rules. If this isnt flaming I dont know what is

;)

:lol:

sirreal63
03/16/2006, 02:14 PM
This is great!!!! Keep the ideas coming, I assure you they are being heard. :-)

DrBDC
03/16/2006, 02:14 PM
Flaming what? :lol:

sirreal63
03/16/2006, 07:14 PM
yes....we need more. :-)

ramtheory
03/16/2006, 07:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6966087#post6966087 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JxMetal

Be a little spontaneous

So you mean how about a road trip you coming along like next weekend? Meet up with some of our reef friends down in Cape I like that little shop with a couple of 120 reef tanks. Then stuff ourselves at Lamberts. I like the sound of that. What do you guys think. Couple of BBQ places down there as well.
:smokin:

keep them coming

ARLO
03/16/2006, 08:08 PM
I like the reef buddy idea since I am a newbie to the "Reef" part of saltwater.. I also like the idea of pizza night with a few of St. Louis own "Home Brew". I am also amazed by some of the tanks I have seen i.e. fade32 and his Bro's & Dads. Great stuff..

Arlo

spongebobby
03/16/2006, 08:13 PM
Thats right by my house, well 30 miles south of me. I have purchased alot from that LFS. He's a great store owner very helpful and informative. There are a few others in Cape also. I would probably call him in advance to give him an oppurtunity to "stock-up" well before the visit. Sunny Hill has some nice stuff on occasion.

Why waste time at Lambert's much better places in Cape to eat......Texas Roadhouse or Logan's is really good...........now i'm hungry....:D

Nanook
03/16/2006, 08:16 PM
What do YOU want in a club

Keep em coming...we really need your input now so we can help form this thing with your desires in mind...except the wet t-shirt thing is probably not for this club.

dave:)

Shooter7
03/16/2006, 08:21 PM
except the wet t-shirt thing is probably not for this club.

Hear that?..............................

That's the sound of wind going out of sails all over the St. Louis area.

Grace's Dad
03/16/2006, 08:39 PM
I guess a PT's night won't happen either.

sirreal63
03/16/2006, 08:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6972001#post6972001 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Grace's Dad
I guess a PT's night won't happen either.

Not officially. ;)

StupidsReef
03/16/2006, 11:08 PM
I must addmit, some of these Ideas are right on target. I need not tell you how smart I am, As I am sure you all noted the name. With that in mind, I LOVE the idea of meeting at diffrent reefer's homes or at least the tour idea. And agree with the "not-so-formal idea. Let's keep it down to earth and just have fun. The frag contest sounds great! I like the Idea of the pairing up with the new-bie's too! I must proclaim that the March metting was great but no one was interducing anybody. Had it not been for prior meetings with Roy, Tony & Kathy I would have felt like a complete stranger.
Also I like the T-shirt Idea (not the wet part) but making S.L.A.S.H t-shirts for members to buy.
"Pizza Night" as its be coined is a great idea, but some of us work 10 to 16 hour days(me for one) and can't make week night gatherings. How about doing this on a weekend??
I'd like to be able to go to other reefer's homes to see there set-up in the works. How they plumbed it, the lighting that they use, there sumps design, there top-off set-ups ect.... I could use help plumbing mine as of now. It works but not great.
Tours could be set-up by gathering up at a LSF then splitting up into small groups and going to diffrent homes and then back to the LSF changing up each meeting so everyone gets to meet & see everyones tanks.

latazyo
03/17/2006, 03:04 AM
can we have unsanctioned wet tshirt contests?

JxMetal
03/17/2006, 12:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6971382#post6971382 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ramtheory
So you mean how about a road trip you coming along like next weekend? Meet up with some of our reef friends down in Cape I like that little shop with a couple of 120 reef tanks. Then stuff ourselves at Lamberts. I like the sound of that. What do you guys think. Couple of BBQ places down there as well.
:smokin:

keep them coming

Now that's what I'm talking about. Too bad I got plans already.

scbadiver
03/17/2006, 04:00 PM
Ok, I really hate what I'm about to suggest, honestly, but I see a benefit so... How 'bout we put on those stupid stupid name tags at first as we all meet up? I hate wearing them and always feel like it should say "my name is _____ and I ride bus 24" and my teachers name too, but... it solves the "who's who" problem. Not all the time certainly. Just a few times in the beginning?

Letmegrow
03/17/2006, 04:09 PM
In addition to that, the Board of Directors will make sure everyone is introduced properly before, during, and after the meetings/events. If you have a friend that has not met as many people as you, take them around and get aquainted.

Im still waiting to meet Tattoo, any time now......

Grace's Dad
03/17/2006, 06:56 PM
Since ASM has raised their prices I would like to host the first "Fill your pockets with money and sit on my couch meeting"
-Whats lost in the couch stays in the couch-

fkdenton
03/17/2006, 07:26 PM
I love the ideas you guys have. I live in the Ramsey/Vandalia area. About an hour away from St Louis. Can I still join?

capncapo
03/17/2006, 07:26 PM
Of course!

We would be pleased to have you join.

ramtheory
03/17/2006, 11:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6979358#post6979358 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fkdenton
I love the ideas you guys have. I live in the Ramsey/Vandalia area. About an hour away from St Louis. Can I still join?

Pana, IL I was in a wedding almost a year ago in that town. My buddy married a local girl from Pana. We had the rehearsal dinner at this cool restaurant/bar that use to be a church in Hillsboro IL. Awesome food at that place. Thats not that bad of a drive at all. Look forward to meeting you.

Vandalia still need to get up that way and see that shop. Will let you know when.

Everyone is welcome.

Start a thread and introduce yourself and your bowfront. Love to hear from new people especially when it comes time to meet. Hey your that person, cool.

Later
rams

Slide_Ice
03/18/2006, 10:28 AM
A few things that I would like to see,

Maybe one official meeting a month

With 1 or 2 informal meetings a month.
This would make it easier for the board to have fun too.

I also like the idea of more road trips.
I would like to visit the guy who is in the Central IL. Club, who has a green house for propagation.

I would also like maybe one meeting a month “In the warmer months� to be geared for the whole family. Picnic, BBQ, …….
For example we have a small ranch with many different animals, Which works great for the office parties we hold here.

I like the idea of having meetings, gathering at other reefers homes. This is a great way to gain ideas and to gain more experience. You can also learn from each person on what works and doesn’t work.

Now speaking for my wife I don’t think the wet T-shirt would fly. But a pool party would probably go over.
:cool:

Todd

P.S. maybe more to come as I thing of them...

Markk96
03/18/2006, 10:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6982990#post6982990 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slide_Ice
For example we have a small ranch with many different animals, Which works great for the office parties we hold here.

Todd

P.S. maybe more to come as I thing of them...

Uhh

If this happens we would have to keep Dallas or Lost Marbles from coming. Just think of the poor animals if they show up, there might be a few others that would have to be banned to.

capncapo
03/18/2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks Todd!

That's just what we're looking for!

Anyone else have suggestions? IF this is going to be your club we need your ideas.

Slide_Ice
03/18/2006, 11:52 AM
Mark I was already thinking about that.

and my solution at this point is to put a shock collar on him so he can't leave the back yard... :D

Baron
03/18/2006, 03:53 PM
I like the idea of a BBQ at a fellow reefers place to see their system talk reef and we can't forget have a few beers (soda for the little ones).

Brad

StupidsReef
03/18/2006, 11:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6978123#post6978123 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Letmegrow

Im still waiting to meet Tattoo, any time now......

I went to the March meeting, where were you?? Good things come to those who are patience, in all due time my friend.

P.S. Thanks for the stuff, Lonnie brought it over. Is this stuff really $45.00!?

Letmegrow
03/19/2006, 12:13 AM
I thought the price tag said $45.00.

Thats inflation for you.

d_icemand
03/19/2006, 03:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6967929#post6967929 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ramtheory
A reef buddy program where people are paired up to a newbie or new member. Help them acclimate not be so shy make sure they have met and know everyone. Neighbors, friends, mentors.

A buddy sign up, and a new member sign up. Just a thought.

i like that idea---just add on not to bash on the new guys or their small tanks. some of us are just new or learning!

d_icemand
03/19/2006, 03:12 PM
and how about us single people when it comes time for the family events---lates make sure to bring the good looking single sister-n-laws or co-workers.

now we are getting somewhere.

trottman
03/21/2006, 04:30 PM
DIY day sometime

jwalters103
03/21/2006, 08:39 PM
outdoor activities??---ropes course, rock climbing and rappeling--its probably been at least 10 years since ive done any of these and id probably break my neck, but definately a lot of fun.

how bout float trips or fishing derbies?

Shooter7
03/21/2006, 09:00 PM
I'm gonna pull together a couple of quotes from my SLASH questions thread to help illustrate my suggestion. First, from Mike:

I will use this as an example. (not picking on you Steve)
When you say there will be laws, that doesn't sound fun. Having rules sounds much better.
Our secretary Jack (sirreal63) will be taking minutes and we can post them for everyone to see.
Are you going to take minutes at a pizza party?
I was more interested in a club that people could gather together and talk fishtanks. Not worry about laws and minutes.

And then, from Greg:

We plan to take our club into the 21st. century and use this forum to make information concerning all aspects of the club available.

Ok, what I'm seeing in the grand scope of things is what Greg is proposing that would alleviate concerns like Mike's. It would take away the "drudge" part of many meetings and allow much more time for reef talk and work. It could be that this is what Greg and you others are already thinking about, but if not, what I'm picturing is this:

IF the things that were talked about in that thread come to reality, IF there is a website created for SLASH along with the use of this message board, things like voting for officers, approving bylaws or ammendments, and other business of the club could be taken care of online when members have the opportunity to address it. IF a method can be put into place to assure the identity of each person and a way is created for each of us to vote, then this could be a reality. The website could contain all the info anyone could want regarding the club, schedule of upcoming events, guest speakers, proposed changes, treasury report, minutes from previous meetings, etc. You wouldn't need to drag through all this stuff at every big meeting. Club dues could be paid for via paypal and deposited directly into a SLASH account. A meeting could open up with a regular introduction of the officers present and followed up by, "Anyone have any questions or business to present? If not, let's move on to the business of reef tanks.", and that would be all the "official business" of the meeting. Just some stuff I had running through my head...maybe it already ran through yours, I dunno.

Shooter7
03/21/2006, 09:09 PM
And while I'm hogging the suggestion thread...

Not sure if this has been suggested, but maybe a monthly member profile or something along those lines. Get a pic of the member, some pics of their tank(s), along with info on how much experience they have, maybe some insight on how they keep their tank with regards to additives, feedings, lighting, other parameters. Any problems they've encountered along the way and how the problem was solved. Maybe other methods of reefkeeping they have tried before and switched and what their experiences have been (like switching from sand to bare bottom). I know there's been suggested the idea of "Tank of the Month", but this would be more grass roots. Maybe people who might not even be interested in running for TOTM, but just average reefers that might have great info to share. Plus, seeing who they are might make it easier for someone to know if you are bumping into them at an LFS sometime.

DrBDC
03/21/2006, 09:54 PM
I think that could be tied to a TOTM myself. The tank doesn't have to look like the RC TOTM's. It would be nice to see even a new one of rock and a couple fish. You could always do a "revisited" when thier turn comes around again. It will take 3 years or more to make the TOTM round, maybe it could be of the week but then you have to make it simple with a form of typical questions they fill out online and submit thier own photos. That would give appox 9-12 at the current projection of members unless it changed since I heard last. And as it grows maybe every 2 years. But that would give great time lapse. Since walgreens will even put to cd a regular film camera it would be easy to submit for all if given a few weeks notice of their turn. Maybe have a certain photo number limit to send. (depends on the servers capacity.)

ramtheory
03/21/2006, 09:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7010033#post7010033 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shooter7
And while I'm hogging the suggestion thread...

Not sure if this has been suggested, but maybe a monthly member profile or something along those lines. Get a pic of the member, some pics of their tank(s), along with info on how much experience they have, maybe some insight on how they keep their tank with regards to additives, feedings, lighting, other parameters. Any problems they've encountered along the way and how the problem was solved. Maybe other methods of reefkeeping they have tried before and switched and what their experiences have been (like switching from sand to bare bottom). I know there's been suggested the idea of "Tank of the Month", but this would be more grass roots. Maybe people who might not even be interested in running for TOTM, but just average reefers that might have great info to share. Plus, seeing who they are might make it easier for someone to know if you are bumping into them at an LFS sometime.

Shooter Dave this is a great idea and was kind of along the lines of what we were thinking, it is good to see someone suggested it.
We had someone in mind who was going to take care of this but they didn't want anything to do with it. They have already shown their talent and we were looking forward to such positions being filled. Old news does anyone have interest in filling such a position please PM one of the board members. If not we will try our best to work a monthly profile, TOTM is obviously in the works once this becomes a functional club. Can't wait to see what we can do together as an interactive club. Please be patient. Later

kentrob11
03/21/2006, 10:12 PM
I swear if I ever see Dave in a wet T shirt dancing around I'll never go to another pizza night.

Anyway, I was thinking maybe a "equipment whore of the month" but Chad would win that every time. Then again, Nookie has been through 3 skimmers without ever having set up a tank!

In all seriousness, I think that people shouldn't try to make this thing so complicated and just have a good time getting together, eating pizza, drinking beer and making fun of Chad. I like the fact that everything has been so laid back and purposely unorganized...

I also think that I'm sick of sitting around looking at a buncha over-the-hill hard legs- Bring the chicks out!!!

ramtheory
03/21/2006, 10:32 PM
Kent you keep wearing that perfume and dressing up we won't need to make fun of chad anymore.

Bring the chicks out!!! You might have better luck helping the ladies carry their balls out of the bowling alley on ladies night. :thumbsup:

All in good fun my friend :D

It is a shame we didn't get to keep those 3D glasses Dave was crazy looking that night. Kent no worries there will be enough informal get together meetings and pizza nights thats what brought us together in the first place.

kentrob11
03/21/2006, 10:52 PM
Heh- If a chick needs help carrying her balls then I don't want anything to do with her!

capncapo
03/21/2006, 10:52 PM
You're catching on now Dave!

If things are done right, the "business" side of meetings will be very brief. At the present time, we do not plan on making social gatherings like pizza nights anything but fun. No official business.

stlouisguy
03/21/2006, 11:04 PM
Maybe we should have a skimmate competition. Worse smelling wins.

I just cleaned out a champion. Thought I was going to be sick.

Markk96
03/21/2006, 11:33 PM
I think Fade32 wins this round, he made his son get sick.

fade32
03/21/2006, 11:59 PM
:thumbsup:

pewter_jean
03/22/2006, 10:22 AM
I like alot of the ideals I've seen, I would have loved to have a mentor, and probly could still use one. How about road trips. Like if we could go to a hugh frag farm. or a shopping trip to the LFS in Indy,hope you get the ideal. How about a logo design contest. winner gets a gift certifact to one of the Local LFS or chad's basement to do some shopping. Then we could have that for our T-shirt, jackets and alge scrappers. How about a lending library. Some paper back books, Setting up sumps, lights, corals etc. Maybe even have an equipment bank, If someone has an emergency tank cracked or skimmer blew up. There would be an emergency loaner for them until they can get something permanent. And maybe charge 5 or 10 a month. Since the purpose would be to help them. Or if someone has older, or unneeded equipment, get it out there for the newbie.

ol'saltybastage
03/22/2006, 12:09 PM
A beer Volcano would be nice..

JxMetal
03/22/2006, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't mind if someone put up a post that included a poll. On that poll there would be 5-10 users and whoever gets the most votes can post a bunch of pictures and information about their tank and make it a sticky for the month. That's somehting that will only take about 1 minute to do.

April is right around the corner.