PDA

View Full Version : My other pair of Banggai are carrying now!

ReefMD
04/16/2002, 07:27 PM
I purchased two "pair" of Banggai cardinals in January. One pair was of adult size and started carrying on April 4th. The male is still carrying that brood. I went to feed my other "pair" of Banggai, which are considerably smaller, and one of them would not eat. I never saw the "dance" with this pair either, but he is definitely carrying eggs. See my attached picture.
I just changed my username today, so look for Tramsd as my old username.
I swear that I have not been feeding my fish any fertility drugs from work.

Tim:)

FMarini
04/16/2002, 09:38 PM
Tim:
Fertility drugs...hummm. Now thats something i haven't tried yet. But apparently you have. I guess most of them are soluble in seawater???
Good for you.
If you get a chance and can search back about 1 yr ago, when i started this forum there is a long thread started by my friend K clarke. Anyway he has documented banggai breeding in a pair of his offspring than where almost 6months old. this totally shattered any previous evidence which i had and was in the literature on sexual maturity. Most of my fish had bred around 8-10 month rountinely, but never at 6months. So as you can imagine these fish were small.
sounds like you have confirmed his results.
reefMD huh? why not babydeliverin-greef, or speculumreefer?
Okay so they don't flow as well, but you get the idea
good luck
frank

Wild Card-inal
04/17/2002, 05:20 AM
I think he said that he DIDN'T use the fertility drugs, Marini! ;)

FMarini
04/17/2002, 08:03 AM
Yes mr cardinal.
I did see that statment and i was making a joke... apparently a poor one. Never the less Tim has 2 pair of banggai which are breeding and he also made the statement that the reason they both have eggs is fertiliy issues at his house...Get it?
GeeWhiz

mdleb
04/17/2002, 08:22 AM
Whats up Doc,

I got the joke and I thought it to be pretty good. :lolspin:

Mark

ReefMD
04/20/2002, 08:31 AM
I just transferred my larger male to my Banggai holding system this morning. As far as I can tell he still has a mouth full. From my calculations, he is on day 18. Now to just watch for him to spit out the banggers, move him to his holding area and fatten him up for the next round.
My smaller male is also still holding his eggs, but he is only on day 5, so he may still abort this cycle.

Tim

Sally
04/21/2002, 07:56 AM
ReefMD: I'm just curious about your smaller bangaii's that are carrying. How big are they (from tip to tail)? If they were captive raised do you know how old they were? Thanks

ReefMD
04/21/2002, 09:01 AM
Sally,
I'd say they are in the 4-5 cm range, with the male being the larger of the pair.
I purchased the pair from Inland Aquatics, but did not inquire at the time of purchase what their age was estimated to be. From what I was told they are tank bred.
I just looked this morning and the small male is still holding his eggs. The large male is still holding as well, I was worried that he might spit out the eggs/fry during/after transfer, but so go so far.

Tim