PDA

View Full Version : Need a fish fast.

innomen/dennis`
04/16/2002, 01:07 PM
Much to my great disappointment one of my clowns jumped out of the tank yesterday. Before i go on, i want it to be understood that the only area that he could have found an escape point is about 2" next to the skimmer. I also have never had this happen while owning salt water fish.

Anyway, i have heard that it is important that they be paired especially after this long of being together (2 years), so i went to buy one and was informed that there is a shortage of clowns due to a disease that is affecting the major vendors.

Does anyone know where i can buy a percula clown near Lexington tonight? I was told that the urgency is based in their highly social nature, and the way their dominance works.

hartman
04/16/2002, 01:41 PM
dennis,

Skiptons in Boston. I just got a baby percula on Sunday from them.

Skipton Kennel & Pet Center
70 Southampton Street, Boston, MA 02118
(617) 541-0520

Still need a home for the yellow tang?

Hartman

innomen/dennis`
04/16/2002, 03:28 PM
Thanks Hartman. Actually my panic over my yellow tang was an over reaction. Who would have thunk it. What i thought was aggression was the tang enjoying the massage as the shrimp cleaned him. Thanks for asking.

I will try and make a trip of it tonight.

Violin
04/16/2002, 03:38 PM
I don't know where you heard such a statement that clownfish need to be paired to thrive. What if you get a clownfish with the same sex as yours? I don't think yours will be very happy!

I know someone who has had a single clownfish for more than 15 years and the fish is going strong.

hartman
04/16/2002, 03:43 PM
Also make sure that it is a lot smaller. I had a pair and one jumped the tank about 3 months ago. The new one from Sunday is about 1/4 the size of the exsisting one. This way after about 2 hours both knew who was boss and now they a total buds after only 2 days.

Hartman

Ken2001
04/16/2002, 08:56 PM
Skiptons is definately the place to check out. I went there for the first time this weekend and was really impressed with their selection and knowledge. Also, Tropic Isle usually have a nice selection of tank raised clowns in stock.

The deal with clown size difference is that the females are larger than the males. If you get two small ones, then both are males. However, one will switch sex to become a female and grow larger, while the other stays male and won't get as large.

Violin
04/17/2002, 09:08 AM
Ken,

Just out of curiosity. Where did you learn that a juvenile clownfish will switch sex from male to female if two male co-exist? I understand that it's a common practice among fairy wrasse and some angelfishes to switch the sex from female to male. It's because they all are born to be female and as they mature the dominate female in the group turns into a male. The other way around doesn't seem natural.

Some literature would help.

hartman
04/17/2002, 09:16 AM
Violin,

I'm 99.99% sure all clowns are born male and only when one gets large enough will it become the dominate one and then switches to female. Then if she dies the next in line become female.

Hartman

Violin
04/17/2002, 09:29 AM
Hartman,

that's interesting! I never knew that. I guess I've learned something today.

acrophoria
04/17/2002, 09:39 AM
Hartman is 100% correct,all clowns are born male.Two may pair up and the dominating fish usually turns out female,growing larger than the male.

Jake
04/17/2002, 04:10 PM
"Hartman is 100% correct,all clowns are born female."

I think you might have ment that they all start out male and the dominant one becomes female?

innomen/dennis`
04/17/2002, 07:12 PM
Well here's what happened. I went to a place in Belmont called Aqualife, only because i had some time constrictions. I could tell you a great deal more about why one would think twice before going there. Next time i will try to get to Skiptons. Anyway, They only had two clowns. Neither of them were an exact match to be honest I am not sure of the specific breed i have. I originally bought them at....well lets call the breed Petcoptus (no need to scold, i no longer go there). So i spent $25.00 for a maroon clown. The other fish including the lone fish are beating the crap out of it. I am hoping that it is a matter of time before it is better aclimated. I am trying not to overeact.

Here is what i was told by someone in the FO forum. Clowns are all born female. The one who exibits dominant behavior will develop the male anatomy. Then they said that it was because of this physiological situation, that they are dependent upon each other in a social manner. If one is left on its own it is both cruel and likely that it will die of stress.

I take it that this is all wrong?

gagnu
04/17/2002, 08:12 PM
Clownfish transform from adolescent to male to female. Never from female to male.

moe_k
04/17/2002, 09:36 PM
Dennis,
What other fish are in the tank?
Sounds like the new guy is being picked on for being new.
There are a few things you can do to decrease the agression from the established fish.
You can turn the lights out and move rocks around. That blows away their old territory schemes.
I can't think of any more right now, somebody else please chime in.
But if you were looking for a match, Dennis, it sounds like you have two different species now. Is that correct?
BTW - Maroon clowns get pretty big and fiesty.

Good luck,
Moe

acrophoria
04/17/2002, 09:52 PM
Sorry I wrote it wrong this morning,male then female:(

reefrancher
04/18/2002, 02:24 AM
Another tip on what Moe previously wrote about changing their environment:

Move the established fish to the sump for a week. Let the new fish take over then move the the fish in the sump back into the tank. Its little psychy will be all outta whack :)

Steve

innomen/dennis`
04/18/2002, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the help. Other than the clowns the only other fish is a tang.

So i take it from Moe that it is okay to move around Live Rock? I was unsure if there were some things being established in their areas that did not do well to being moved. Its a good idea.

Unfortunately i do not have a sump. Perhaps that is why i am having difficulty with my parameters. Its a small tank so i thought the skimmer would be sufficient. Is that incorrect? I understand that it is not ideal, but is it at least doable with my current set up?

moe_k
04/18/2002, 11:30 AM
Dennis,
What size tank, and what brand/model of skimmer?

hartman
04/18/2002, 11:40 AM
innomen/dennis,

So you got a dark red clown or Marron clown? If you other clown is not a Marron he will soon attack it. Marrons are super aggresive to other non Marron clowns.

Hartman

innomen/dennis`
04/18/2002, 02:20 PM
Moe, its a 29G and an Aqua C Remora. The skimmer is more than capable of doing 29 Gallons according to its specs.

The LFS told me it was a "maroon" clown. Now if it is an aggressive marron clown, he must be holding back his aggression for the moment. He does look dark red, not quite maroon though.

Does anyone know of this web page?

http://fins.actwin.com/dir/stores.php?c=1&r=1

This is where i got the information and review of the store. Perhaps we should critique it for others?

moe_k
04/18/2002, 03:13 PM
Dennis,

The Remora should do a fine job on that tank, I'll agree.
Good luck with the new clown. Keep us posted.