PDA

View Full Version : Borneman

Dakafall
03/11/2006, 11:10 PM
Let's start makin' a list of when/where/who's goint, etc, and try to cut down the confusion as much as possible

Also, we should try to get to the Aquarium in the Mall Of American, (1.2 MILLION GALLONS!!!!!! :D, largest underground aquarium or somethin' like that, one way or another it's huge) prices are like, $15 for just a regular tour, and for $20, you can get the regular tour and a behind the scenes tour, so i'm all game for see that aquarium

tangdiver
03/12/2006, 12:25 AM
When, where and how much is it??? Not informed yet?!?!?

creslin2
03/12/2006, 07:52 AM
mmmph. The Taj-Mah-Mall. Me no likey Mall of America.....oh well. They have fishies! Funny enough, I grew up not 40 minutes from the place, but never have done the aquarium tour.

Dakafall
03/13/2006, 12:23 AM
All i know is I looked on Lunch's website, and found out it's the 8th of April

creslin2
03/13/2006, 07:39 AM
Mmmph again. I work that weekend. :p

creslin2
03/16/2006, 08:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6934599#post6934599 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dakafall
we should try to get to the Aquarium in the Mall Of American, (1.2 MILLION GALLONS!!!!!! :D, largest underground aquarium or somethin' like that, one way or another it's huge) prices are like, $15 for just a regular tour, and for $20, you can get the regular tour and a behind the scenes tour, so i'm all game for see that aquarium

funny enough. Must be karma, or serendipity, fate, something, but today when I went to work, they had posters advertising discount tickets for the MOA aquarium (and unlimited ride wristbands) there are some limitations (times, dates, etc) but I can contact HR and find out more if people are interested?

creslin2
03/16/2006, 08:36 AM
further, if we get a group of people together that want to go (20+ people) they have discount tickets available too, and looks to be cheaper than what I can get at work. adults (13+ yrs old) are $10 each, and kids (3-12) are $6 each.

you can look at that here. (http://www.sharky.tv)

Lunchbucket
03/16/2006, 09:16 PM
here is the info (http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68629)

it's the clubs website..not my website.

Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket
03/16/2006, 09:19 PM
Eric Borneman will be coming to speak to our club on Saturday April 8th. Time to be determined.

The title of his speed will be "Understanding the Nature of and Factors Involved in Coral Coloration".

I believe he will also give a brief synopsis of the directions he feels the hobby is moving.

tangdiver
03/17/2006, 01:00 AM
He is coming to our meting? Oh yes this is great, good job everybody. We are bringing him to Sioux Falls...

Ha ha, just the glue and primer talking.

Grant

creslin2
03/17/2006, 07:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6974013#post6974013 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tangdiver
He is coming to our meting? Oh yes this is great, good job everybody. We are bringing him to Sioux Falls...

Ha ha, just the glue and primer talking.

Grant

Er..... just to make sure people don't get confused....Borneman is talking at the Twin Cities Marine Aquarium Society on April 8. And Augsburg Biology on April 7. So far as I can tell, he won't be in Sioux Falls (unless he's just driving thru). Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

creslin2
03/17/2006, 07:42 AM
And I got more info for those who have interest in the Mall of America Aquarium tours...

$6 off unlimited ride wristbands (www.theparkatmoa.com)
$3 off adult admission to the aquarium
$1.50 off children's admission to the aquarium (ages 3-12)
$4 off the Sleepover with the Sharks program

email or pm me if you are interested, and I can get more details/see about getting tickets.

tangdiver
03/17/2006, 10:22 AM
Correct...not here in SF...me just being dumb///

Lunchbucket
03/17/2006, 03:17 PM
NO SF. i just cut and pasted that from the TCMAS board

Lunchbucket

tangdiver
03/17/2006, 04:06 PM
kick the smart a**....wait it was me...

creslin2
03/18/2006, 01:35 AM
yep, I know, but I didn't want there to be any confusion for those who might skim the board (like I did when I first read about this) *sheepish grin*

otolith
03/19/2006, 12:15 PM
Hey all, I was doing a search for Lunchbucket to ask him about taking care of a litte patch of hydroids I found in my tank and came across this thread. :)

EB is heading our way, and you guys are definitely more than welcome to come join us. :beer:

So Lunch, about those hydroids... :D

Lunchbucket
03/19/2006, 01:02 PM
get them out NOW!! i hate mine. they grow all over the rocks. mine don't sting my corals but others have had them sting thier SPS. take that rock out if you can.

otolith - thanks for stopping by. can you give us info on the date, time, cost?

is he speaking at multiple houses or at one location?

oh buddy i need some corals too ;) PM and my lokani isn't doing well :(

thanks man
Lunchbucket

otolith
03/19/2006, 03:37 PM
We haven't ironed out the specifics yet in regards to times, etc. but we're working on it. :) He will be here April 7th and 8th is about the only thing that's definite. He'll give a lecture to some of the students on Friday, and then talk to us on Sat. We do plan on some informal time with him, including some possible tank tours.

We're having "discussions" about the price as well. We've raised quite a bit through raffles, etc. and we would like to keep the cost minimal. :)

How's that for specifics? ;)

I'll take care of the droids, and we'll get you hooked up with some more corals. :)

Lunchbucket
03/19/2006, 06:03 PM
well please let us know ASAP. i think i might come to it. would be a nice trip for the wife and I. we can't make it to IMAC unfortunatly so this would be a good chance to get away and see Borneman and see you guy. i ALWAYS (intensity :lol:) enjoy visiting the MN guys. hope i can come by your place, Energy, jg24. finally see redwinger this time. we would stay over on friday night at a hotel and maybe sat too so we have more time to visit.

get some frags ready buddy...and i'll get the pocket book ready too :D :lol:

thanks man!
Lunchbucket

redwinger02
03/19/2006, 09:42 PM
Lunch you are welcome to stop by allthough the tank is in redo mode right now. Half of the rock is being cooked.

Lunchbucket
03/19/2006, 09:46 PM
oh yeah i forgot you were cooking 1/2 of the rock. oh well :D still would like to stop by

Lunchbucket

otolith
03/19/2006, 09:46 PM
Well, I posted that we should really work out the specifics for the potential out of towners who'd have to make plans. Hopefully we can get something ironed out.

I would think after the talk we'd congregate in Capman's lab(s) where he has his reef tanks for some refreshments. What happens after that, I don't know (yet).

We're thinking about a frag swap as well, so it may be a great time for us to spread some coral DNA around. :D

otolith
03/19/2006, 09:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6991907#post6991907 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lunchbucket
i ALWAYS (intensity :lol: ) enjoy visiting the MN guys. And we like it when you guys visit. :) That was great when you and Travis were able to stop by.

Travis
03/20/2006, 12:14 AM
Otolith, I wish I could come up and see your tank and some other tanks again but won't be coming this trip since I will be seeing Borneman in a month at IMAC. And I really wish I was coming since you guys are having a frag swap. That would be a blast!

Lunchbucket
03/20/2006, 06:16 AM
frag swap...COOL! i'll make sure i bring a few baby sized frags up.

otolith - we will have to figure out what you don't have that i do so i can bring you some loot too

Lunchbucket

otolith
03/20/2006, 09:12 AM
We've decided to not charge for the event. HOWEVER, we will be accepting donations at the door. We've done some fundraising, but don't know if it'll be enough to cover everything, but instead of charging TCMAS members $5 and everyone else $10 (or something like that), we thought it would be easier to just accept donations from everyone.

The frag swap details are still being ironed out...Not sure if it should be on that Sat, or if it'll be on Sunday, or who will even host it. Doesn't mean we can't do some swapping, however.

My CBA, which was growing great, well, it's in two big pieces now. I went to frag it, and when I snapped off a little frag, I bumped the main branch and it snapped off. :( Now I'm deciding if I should just frag it up, or try to superglue it back in place. :sad1:

Travis
03/20/2006, 03:05 PM
otolith, what types of fundraisers does your club do? Our club is still in its infant stages and we are always looking for more ideas from other clubs. I've broke a few acros in half and had to reglue. IME, they do always grow back together and you can't tell they ever broke in the first place. However, every acropora specimen that I have done this to has had severely retarded growth after regluing two halves back together. I wonder if it has anything to do with the colony being separated by a thick layer of superglue where all of its networks within the skeleton are no longer attached to transport things. Who knows, it may also just be the pieces that I have experimented with also. FWIW, I have had to reglue montipora caps and digis back together and they grow like weeds again after healing up.

Lunchbucket
03/20/2006, 03:33 PM
i too have glued corals back together. or i will glue to broken off piece close to the main one to make a colony 2x's as fast

good question about fund raising Travis. i think we should get on TCMAS and start asking how to get the club up and running better

otolith. who is your president? and who started the club? who was around from the beginning?

thanks
Lunchbucket

otolith
03/20/2006, 04:34 PM
We had people donate things to the club for raffles--Bob/JG24 donated a kalk reactor, Spazz a frag tank, Fahz a DI system, me a PM and Oregon frag, Mike/tico some echino frags, Jerry some echino frags, Jake/fastfish some frags, Smeese some frags, & Dirk a book. I can't remember who else donated, but it was great to have all these people donate to it. We only did this to raise money to get him here. Otherwise, we've decided to be a non-dues paying club, since we really didn't want to apply for non-profit status, etc. The only people who really "pay" anything are people who've held meetings, as they provide the snacks/refreshments for the meeting.

Tico Mike is the current president. Jerry/JnS is the VP, and I'm the red-headed bastard stepchild (aka co-VP or Secretary of state or something like that). All it means is that Mike coordinates the meetings with people, we all try to answer the email, and we take care of the website (basically Jerry does this atm).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the CBA...probably just glue it back together...or I may just frag the heck out of it. :)

otolith
03/20/2006, 04:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6998423#post6998423 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lunchbucket
and who started the club? who was around from the beginning? I believe someone by the name of Larry Maras started/founded the club (aka NorthernReef? aka LarryM, the former owner of this board). :) He's no longer in the hobby, AFAIK.

Some of the older people include David Grigor, Dirk, Havre, Ben Nichols, Capman, Lars, Graham, etc. I suppose I'm one of the elders as well. :)

Lunchbucket
03/20/2006, 08:57 PM
thanks Derek!

Lunchbucket

otolith
03/20/2006, 11:58 PM
No problemo. Hope to see some of your club members over here. :)

Travis, wish I could go to the IMAC, but I think I'll have to wait until the kids are a little older and it's a little easier on the wife.

Lunchbucket
03/21/2006, 09:00 AM
otolight - good thing for me you have kids and can't make it to IMAC...means i get to stop by and stare at the tank :D

Lunchbucket