PDA

View Full Version : New Here

ewaldm
03/08/2006, 03:54 PM
I was recommended to start a new thread, which I guess I should so I don’t steal someone else’s.

My name is Michael Ewald, I live in Watertown, and am currently a senior in high school. I already have plans to attend Black Hills State next fall so most of my current fish related plans revolve around that. Well, I guess, like all of us, I have my dream tank already mapped out, but that’ll have to wait till after law school *fingers crossed*.

I currently have 2 tanks. A 35g long aquarium with just a small (less than a foot) snowflake moray eel, and I just started a 2.5g hex tank that I have plans to take to college with me. I’ll be living alone, or with my girlfriend so I’ll have the freedom to store 5 bucket gallons of water, equipment ex… wherever I damn well please. :)

I’ve kept saltwater fish for around 6 years, and I’ve had my share of bad experiences listening to LFS’s in my area, and so on. I kept a mostly soft coral 29g reef tank for around 2 years that I had some success with. I broke it down last year, and moved on to aggressive, but I’m starting to regret not having my underwater garden like I used too. Now, I want to move onto SPS.

I know what you are thinking…2.5g tank…new to SPS….college…?!?! What?

Here are my thoughts. I have everything I need to start the 2.5 gallon tank. Anything bigger, and I don’t think I’ll be able to keep up with maintenance or cost, but I think even I can find the time to do a water change every day when you only have to change about a full glass of water. I just can’t imagine living without a tank, even if it is just a little one.

I’m hoping to learn a lot from you SPS gurus out there, and hopefully buy some small frags from you guys and gals when my tank matures this summer. I figure that would be the perfect way to stock a tank since I don’t have room for huge colonies anyways.

Thanks All!

Michael

kau_cinta_ku
03/08/2006, 04:19 PM
[welcome]

sounds like you got your hands full. lol but its great to see that you found this site and our club hope to see you at a few of the meetings. like you i am also wanting to get into SPS corals but my 75 gal. is still in the finishing stages. the one prob. i may see with having a 2.5 gal. SPS tank would be the lighting, but i am sure something will pop up. Travis and Eric are 2 of the main SPS freaks they could prob. tell you anything you need to know about those corals along with Grant.

good luck. and ask any questions you have.

tangdiver
03/08/2006, 05:02 PM
Welcome, thanks for the new thread...all is good and growing in SFAAS land...hope to see you at the next meeting...

Any ??? ask away for us to mow over...also the 2.5 gallon what lighting and filters...

Grant

Travis
03/08/2006, 07:31 PM
Glad to see you have found our club forum.:) Hope to see you at a meeting, hopefully you can make it to the next one.:)

Lunchbucket has ran a few smaller tanks and 1 of them was a 1 gallon, if I remember correctly so he might be able to help you out. Dakafall also recently started a nano so you are not alone. We are accepting of all members regardless of tank type or size. There are a couple problems that will make it hard to keep sps in a tank that size. First, is the parmeters fluctuate very rapidly with such a small water volume. This could be helped if you add a 10 or 20 gallon sump. Second, as Kau mentioned, the lighting. It will be easy to get enough "watts per gallon" but it will be difficulty to get the "intensity" required for sps. Not saying it can't be done, just saying it will be challenging.

Lunchbucket
03/08/2006, 10:50 PM
i too am glad you found your way over here

i have ran a 1gal, 2.5gal, 3gal cube, 5gal, 10gal, 20gal, 55gal, and my current 58gal.

as for lighting..on the smaller 3gal cube i used a 70w HQI metal halide....worked great. for the 1gal i did mainly zoos and LPS but i used an 18w PC..i still have it laying around if you want it...oh i almost forgot i have a 2x18w PC fixture. each bulb has it's own switch too. so you can have different lamps on at different times.

i'm in Brookings so if you get my way let me know...i have a bunch of nano stuff laying around. want a 20H that is reef ready for college :D

later
Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket
03/08/2006, 10:55 PM
1gal tank - ran in 2003
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3944DSCN0201__Small_.JPG

3.5gal SPS frag tank w/ 70w HQI MH - ran in 2003
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3944DSCF0007.JPG

just some examples incase you needed to see them
Lunchbucket

tangdiver
03/08/2006, 11:29 PM
Man, those are great set ups for a nano tank...man you have even tech out those...looking good. Would love to see your photos of other things you have done.

Grant

Lunchbucket
03/09/2006, 12:07 AM
Grant - thanks....yeah i'm an equipment freak :d

the 1gal was pretty basic. the 3gal cube and a HOT closed loop w/ a SCWD and lockline return lines and a 70w HQI...not too much tech but some

i'll share any pics i have next time you come over

Lunchbucket

ewaldm
03/09/2006, 10:53 AM
Are you serious about the 20g high? It's a little bigger than I wanted, and looking at some pictures on your website, it is probably definetely out of my price range, but you should throw me an estimate if you're looking to get rid of it. Who knows...I might be able to figure something out.

ewaldm
03/09/2006, 11:16 AM
For the 2.5g I'm running a small aquaclear 500 simply for flow at this point. You guys convinced me though, I'm going to take a stab at plumbing. I've never run a sump, prefering just hang-on-the-back skimmers so it will be a new experience. I'm definetely going to need some help plumbing. I've been making a list of questions, but hopefully after I can look at Travis's system in person, I'll have a better idea what I'm doing. I suppose the sump would work best anyways. It'll give me room for a refugium.

Lighting is up in the air at this point. I have 2x55w pcs that I would like to utilize. I rigged a sort of pendant right now over the tank, but I'm sure I'm losing most of the light with the size of the bulb compared to the size of the tank. It already looks like I should upgrade to atleast a 10g tank. It seems it would just make things infinetely easier.

Hm...maybe I'll just break down, and buy Lunchbucket's 20g.

CHUCKSD
03/09/2006, 12:20 PM
I have never experimented with Nano tanks but I do have an ecosphere (8 ounces of water I believe) with 4 tiny red shrimp.
The unit is totally sealed so maintenance is a breeze :)

I would like to get a nano working one of these days...

anyhow... Welcome!
Chuck

creslin2
03/09/2006, 05:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6916488#post6916488 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ewaldm
I'm going to take a stab at plumbing.

As these guys will tell you, it doesn't need to be pretty. A large rubbermaid tote will do the job just fine. The skimmer and pump, well, they can give suggestions for the "financially constrained". College does it to us all. :D

Lunchbucket
03/09/2006, 08:58 PM
ewaldm - yeah i'm serious about the 20H. its RR so you can have a sump and it has a hole for a closed loop. all you could ask for. actually have the hood and the stand too :D

got it at www.wetdryfilter.com - they list it forr $245
http://www.wetdryfilter.com/specia4.jpg

description - This is a 20 High made reef-ready. It has a corner overflow box housing two 3/4" bulkheads, one for the drain and the other for the return. The back wall was also drilled out and fitted with a 3/4" bulkhead for a closed loop system. The back of the tank was painted black, which blends with the overflow and the bulkhead for a clean, sharp look.

we can make a deal if you want. homemade hood and bought stand.

pm me and we can talk and work out a deal. 20H was a perfect tank for me in college

Lunchbucket

ewaldm
03/09/2006, 10:49 PM
I'm off to a friends house right now, but expect a pm tonight!

thanks

ewaldm
03/10/2006, 01:18 AM
Oops, your mailbox is full.

Lunchbucket
03/10/2006, 05:46 PM
sorry about that. not full anymore :D

Lunchbucket

Dakafall
03/11/2006, 11:14 PM
What ever happened to your 70w MH?
that thing looked sweet, and if you still have it, but don't want/need it, i'll buy it :D :D

Lunchbucket
03/12/2006, 01:27 AM
Dak - sorry sold it to get a 150w DE then sold that to get my first 400w ...its a sickness:smokin:

you can get them from Premium Aquatics (http://www.premiumaquatics.com)

they dont' list them on thier website anymore but i'm sure they can get them. they are just like these but in 70w (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PFO-HQI150SYS&Category_Code=PFOp)

check www.marinedepot.com or championlighting.com

someone has them i'm sure
Lunchbucket

creslin2
03/12/2006, 07:46 AM
er, not to be a.....something or other, but that light lists as $300.....? *eep*

Lunchbucket
03/12/2006, 01:12 PM
crest - yeppers. metal halides (MH) especailly double ended (DE) cost a pretty penny. but if you are running a reef lighting is one of your most important things.

Lunchbucket

Travis
03/12/2006, 02:51 PM
I think this would be a good option for smaller nano tanks where you don't want to spread the light out very much, and would rather concentrate it in a smaller area: http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_lighting_metal_halide_icecap_spotlight_pendant.asp?CartId=
Initial setup costs and bulb replacement costs would be the same as the 70w DE setup that Lunch posted.

tangdiver
03/12/2006, 03:30 PM
When you know what you are looking for give me a call, I can pricematch or beat there price on similar items. Sorry if putting in my 2 cents.

Grant

creslin2
03/12/2006, 06:22 PM
*posts huge banner for grant*

SHOP AT OCEANS OF THE MIDWEST! SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUY!

tangdiver
03/12/2006, 07:33 PM
Crap, man I feel weird. Thanks for the plug. I am trying to do my best. Let me know how I can help...however...this week is HE@#...week. # tanks all wanting to be up at the same time. Oh, well if ya can't stand the heat ya better move out of Vegas...and here I am...HAHAHHHAHAHA

Lunchbucket
03/12/2006, 09:23 PM
creslin - good call :D

advice - look at pics online and find what you need....THEN CALL GRANT AND SHOP THERE :d

Lunchbucket

tangdiver
03/12/2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks, I can find what u need after I know what you are looking for... by the way lunch the specs on the lighting again...???

Thanks,

Grant

CHUCKSD
03/13/2006, 01:50 AM
Hi all,
Don't care how much snow hits the street.. I have a spare nickel and am heading to the Ocean tomorrow

:smokin:

I support (LOUDLY to all hobbyist) only those who support us!

Surf's UP!

kau_cinta_ku
03/13/2006, 02:19 AM
well you can call me game then also as i am picking up my stuff next week from him after the meeting. i have to say though the prices he gives are even better than most online stores.
two thumbs up for Grant

Lunchbucket
03/13/2006, 06:21 AM
sounds like we are gonna have a meeting a Travis's drol over his stuff...then got to Grants and buy a bunch of stuff :D i want to get some stuff on sat too :D

Lunchbucket

creslin2
03/13/2006, 07:42 AM
mmm. I want to be one of the crowd, except I don't do marine.... hm.

Lunchbucket
03/13/2006, 09:01 AM
you can come along for moral support :D

Lunchbucket

creslin2
03/13/2006, 11:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6942506#post6942506 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lunchbucket
you can come along for moral support :D

I believe it was Peter Sellers who said "Thank you for your support! I will wear it always!"