PDA

View Full Version : explanation on auto top off please

coralfarmer84
03/06/2006, 04:23 PM
I'm wanting to build an autotop off into my sump like DIY style. I was wondering if it worked to the fashion of a toilet with a lil float valve that just shuts off at a certain level. Whats the best and cheapest way to go about building one of these? I'm going to be running an entire separate line off of the cold water line of the water tank (its the closest) that will have my RO/DI built into the line which then runs directly into the side of the sump if possible. Any suggestions? Stacker your pretty handy i'm sure you have some input on this

charles6299
03/06/2006, 09:55 PM
i'm not sure that the cheapest will be the best way, but here's what i have so far, sorta similiar to what your talking about....i have my ro/di hooked up to a 25 gal. plastic container w/ a float shut off valve...it works good, then by gravity, i have a line from the 25 gal. plas container to a dose pump inside my sump...as water evaporates, the dosing meter turns a valve and let water in, then shutting it off...i also installed another float valve in the sump just as a back up if the dosing meter goes.....the floats work fine for me, but i like to have 2 things hooked up in case one fails....the floats are pretty inexpensive($14), but the dosing probe was $$$....if you already have alot of $$$$ invested, whats another couple of bucks to make sure there won't be any problems.............good luck

STACKER
03/07/2006, 07:24 AM
Go over to Pauls and check out how his is setup. He's got 2 extra containers already plumbed and a couple float valves he'd prolly sell you reasonably

hookedonfish
03/07/2006, 07:55 AM
Yup,

Stacker is correct, I have 2- 7gal. and 1- 5gal holding tanks and an extra float valve. I will be installing a float valve in my new 25gal sump tonight. Stop by.

STACKER
03/07/2006, 11:38 AM
Holy Crap! I was right! Where's my calendar.....

I'll be over this evening to drop off a pump and joes and to swipe my Weldon back. First I'll hit Caballo Ballo for deener!

coralfarmer84
03/07/2006, 02:31 PM
haha, i'd love to stop by but i'm jammed this week. Todays my birthday so unless your gonna bring some of that leftover horse your gonna eat stack I can't make it. I have to get ready for spring break and finish up some school work before i go.. when i get back i'll def come up and take my choice of girls from the fridge, i mean check out your setup paul lol

STACKER
03/07/2006, 02:46 PM
<rolling my eyes and shaking my head> <sigh>

BTW, You'll fit in well in Florduh, glad to see you going :)

charles6299
03/09/2006, 08:15 PM
here's how i have mine installed..its in the closet behind my tank and its gravity fed into my sump w/ a dosing meter...the ro/di is hooked up to the plastic container and float valve turning it off as the container gets full....then i just shut off my ro/di until next time i need ithttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/585/90038top_off_in_closet.jpg

charles6299
03/09/2006, 08:17 PM
just a close up of the containerhttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/585/90038top_off_container.jpg

charles6299
03/09/2006, 08:20 PM
here is the line hooked up to the meter in my sump....the float valve in here is only as a back up if in case something failshttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/585/90038sump_4.jpg