PDA

View Full Version : She split again....

ReeferMac
04/14/2002, 09:49 AM
Well, I can't be 100% sure, but this is the 6th time now, and I'm pretty certain...

My Orange-ish colored bulb tip (who's tip's aren't at all bulbuous) split again. I got a clown hiding behind some rockwork and a foot-like looking point of attachment, about 6 inches away from the visible anemone and the other clown. I've seen this before, and it always means the same thing.

Now if I can just get the thing onto a disposable and removable piece of LR, I 'll be all set.

- Mac

Gary Majchrzak
04/14/2002, 10:05 AM
Congrats, Kevin. Looks as though YOU will be doing some selling or trading of captive raised livestock soon! I consider that a true measure of success! For those that don't realize it, most captive raised or propagated marine organisms are MORE colorful,MORE hardy,and definitely MORE environmentally friendly to endangered reef biotopes.Locally captive raised corals also save you the shipping cost incurred by wild-caught corals.Not to mention the pollution caused when a large newly imported corals 'kicks'.Frags are also more wallet-friendly.Once in the hobby for several years you will discover this is NOT just a sales pitch.BUY CAPTIVE PROPAGATED LIVESTOCK if possible!
BTW: Does anyone know how many corals in CF's display reef are DIRECTLY from the wild, if ANY?
I know the two plating montiporas in that aquarium {pink and green}are captive propagated- because they came from ME!

saltwaterfishlover
04/14/2002, 10:23 AM
I most humbly request an attempt at the option to buy or trade when she is ready PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

ReeferMac
04/14/2002, 12:59 PM
I was going to mention that I think the split's spoken for, but wasn't sure if you were still interested ;-)

It's _NOT_ the rose anemone that split... the other E. Quad I have, orangish colored, sits in the front part of the tank...

You can see a few pics of the one
HERE (http://reef.myip.org/frames/images/fish/clowns/)

They're a little old, but you get the idea.

- Mac

saltwaterfishlover
04/14/2002, 01:17 PM
nice piece but think will wait for a rose eithor fromyou or somewhere else...

Stoli
04/15/2002, 07:25 AM
Mac

I believe I have the same type of anemone in my tank. It split a while ago and I tried to get one of them out of the tank but it wouldn't move. We we worked at it for about an hour and tried everything but needlenose pliers to no avail. How do you get the darn things to release?

Stoli.

Gary Majchrzak
04/15/2002, 08:33 AM
Stoli- if you cannot gently 'tease' the foot of an anemone up with your finger, direct a spare powerheads output at the point where the foot is attached to the substrate or rock.

ReeferMac
04/15/2002, 11:45 AM
Stoli,

It's not easy... most of the time's I've gotten lucky, and was able to pull the rock out that the anemone was on... The other half the time... I spent 2 hours up to my Armpit's in saltwater....

Incidentally, where did you buy your's and about how long ago? Might be one of mine (last one went to Carribean since I didn't know anyone who wanted it).

- Mac

Stoli
04/15/2002, 12:47 PM
Gary:

Tried the powerhead thing. Anemone just closed up and didn't move.

Mac:

I bought it at Living Seas. Probably the best thing I've purchased there.

Gary Majchrzak
04/15/2002, 12:59 PM
Stoli, you have to leave the water stream on the anemone UNTIL it moves! Might take hours.Usually moves by the next day. If the agitation is proper/severe enough, the anemone WILL move!

ReeferMac
04/16/2002, 04:47 AM
She's done gone and split... So I got a spare E. Quad if anyone wants it...

- Mac