PDA

View Full Version : Solenoid Valve in the Overflow to Sump Line

Olgranddad
10/21/2000, 09:22 AM
Has anyone ever considered or tried putting a normally closed solenoid valve in the plumbing from the overflow to the sump? When power is supplied to the solenoid water would flow freely and when power is lost the valve closes. This would stop the possibility of overflowing the some and/or draining more water from the tank. Since you've lost power your pump would be turned off as well.

Just a though

Olgranddad

Snailman
10/21/2000, 05:16 PM
Anything hi-tech can fail when you need it most and a flood is always the result. :( By far the best antisiphon device for a return is a 1/8" hole in the return line just above water level. I started with a check valve until I learned better. :) My wife got an Oceanic and it came with the corner box plumbing. I got my drill out so that I could put the antisiphon hole in only to find Oceanic had already drilled both returns for me. :) When our pump goes off, the corner box and drain hose drain into the sump and that is it. Because this hole always has pressure on it, it won't plug up. It is also easy to see the little stream of water coming out of it to make sure that it is working. The other thing is it does not require any electricity. :)