PDA

View Full Version : whats best octo to start out with?

Sea Wraith
04/14/2002, 02:13 AM
I am getting a new 125 gallon setup with my income tax return and I am going to transfer all my fish from my 58 to it after it cycles! I'm wondering what would be a good octo to start out with in a 58 gallon? :smokin:

OctoMonkey
04/14/2002, 09:10 AM
I beleive that majority would suggest a bimac. if you read back some of the recent postings there is a lot of valuable info to be found about setting up an octo tank and ceph husbamdry in general. Have fun
C

Pandora
04/14/2002, 02:58 PM
Hi Sea Wraith! Welcome to cephs, I guess I "inspired" you... LOL. Since I'm a newbie also with my octopus, I'm glad you are talking to Octomonkey... are you the one who emailed me about having caught cuttlefish in the Gulf of Mexico? I think Octomonkey has bred them before...

Sea Wraith
04/14/2002, 04:11 PM
Yes Pandora, You have inspired me to get a ceph! I cant wait till my tax return gets here so I can get my new tank setup! I am the one who catches cuttlefish in the Gulf occasionally, my family is big time hooked on fishing and we use castnets to catch bait in the bays and inlets on the gulf and we catch loads of squid and cuttlefish at certain times of the year. I have also caught some strange looking fish in my castnet as well but of all the ones I have caught the neatest one was a little fish about 2 inches long. It was a spotted coloration of white with brown spots on its body, and on its pectoral fins it changed from brown to red to purple. The pectoral fins were extremely large and the little fish would float along the bottom on these! They almost looked like a Fu Man Chu Lions pecs. Just in front of the little fishes pecs it had another set of fins that it used to "walk" along the bottom! The dorsal fins were the same coloration but not near as large as the pecs. I caught it in a cast net and we put it in the bait well of the boat and brought it to my local fish store and the guy there couldnt identify it but "Had" to have it! I ended up letting him keep the fish and it lived in his show tank for several years! :smokin:

cephalopoder
04/14/2002, 04:35 PM
You must be catching squid in the gulf. There are no species of cuttle fish off the coast of north or south america or the caribbean. Cuttles come from europe, the mediteranean, australia, indo pacific regions. Chances are you are catching Sepioteuthis sepioidea the caribbean reef squid.
It has large fins and is often mistaken for a cuttle. Still a interesting catch.
chris

Sea Wraith
04/14/2002, 06:12 PM
Do squid change colors like cuttles? Because the critters I am catching change colors really fast! Its awesome to watch them change colors at a rate that is almost freakish! They go from spots to waves to spots again! It's wild!!!!!! :smokin:

cephalopoder
04/14/2002, 06:57 PM
Yes.
The caribbean reef squid has spots and has very good color change ability. It can blend into match corals very well when danger is near. They are very very cool cephs. And stripes are common when mating, but theiy hqave the ability to match a lot of different patterns.