PDA

View Full Version : skimmer problems

natman2
03/01/2006, 06:54 AM
Well my skimmer has gone out on strike.

After this weekends maintenance to the tank it simply has stopped producing. Its always been a bit finicky but was a decent producer until this latest episode usually giving me an inch or two of sludge a day. Its in sump and after water changes always had to be reset to find the Sweet spot but this was always just a matter of a few minutes adjustment.

I am not a complete newbie when it comes to skimmers so all the usual suspects have been eliminated. Venturi and air line is clear, pump is functioning normal and with this go around I have even tried shimming the skimmer up to different water levels in the sump but still nothing.

Skimmer is a no name/DIY that I bought at fish bowl and is also available at PK in Braden ton. Something needs to be done soon as its apparent nutrient build up is occurring in the four days it has failed to produce with patches of cyano beginning to form.

If no one has any ideas on what may be the problem maybe someone can direct me to where I can purchase a good replacement. The only brands I can find locally other than Prizm and seaclone, which are out of the question for obvious reasons, is the Coralife super skimmers. Any opinions on these are welcome.

I would also consider any used skimmers anyone is wanting to sell.

robthorn
03/01/2006, 07:43 AM
ocean environments has h&s . you can also order anything you want and do a couple water changes til it gets there.
when you put your hands in the tank oil comes off and slows or stops your skimmer but within a few hours should get back to work maybe slowly but should not need adjusting more like patience I guess. without knowing anything about the skimmer it's hard to say whats going on. if you get over an inch a day from your skimmer I would make it work because it's not likely you will find another pulling this much out unless your tank is pretty filthy. is the pump to large or small for the skimmmer? bigger isn't always better. too much flow through the skimmer causes too much turbulance and little foam production. too small may not get enough air in to do well. raising the skimmer makes it less efficient I would think since you put more head pressure on the pump therefor decreasing the flow from the pump. 1 inch matters more than you would think. is it a needlewheel skimmer? becket? air driven? have you taken the pump apart to check the impeller? may have a snail stuck in it.
what size tank do you need the skimmer for?

natman2
03/01/2006, 08:35 AM
Like I said its a no name. I believe they are made in Tampa It came with a surge 660 and I since put a rio on it that pumps 900 GPH and it worked well.

Just venturi no downdraft or needle wheel conter current etc. Pump is working fine. There is a picture of it in my gallery and that production was probably a few days worth when it was working. As you can see from the other pic in my gallery stocking is a bit on the low side and weekly 10 to 20 percent water changes are performed religiously along with other maintenance. Tank volume is probably just over 100 gallons system wide.

Thanks for the help.

sandman12
03/01/2006, 11:34 AM
nathan- I have an ASM G2 for sale, 1 year of use. $150.

natman2
03/01/2006, 05:45 PM
You have PM sandman