PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in bulk ordering Fiji Rock?

kcolagio
04/11/2002, 08:57 AM
I'm considering doing a bulk order of Fiji rock from Flying Fish Express (or some other agreed upon supplier) if there are others interested. Here is what I am thinking....

Here is Flying Fish Express's Live Rock page... http://www.ffexpress.com/rock.htm

Everyone interested posts a reply to this thread.

After about a week I'll total it up and post the totals. I'll also try and hammer down costs to at least give an idea of what they will be. All rock will be ordered UNCURED. If you don't want to/can't cure it, I will do it for a fee (salt and supplies cost money!)

Everyone confirms their order by paying me for the amount they want within a few days (I'll have something more formal by the end of next week). If you don't pay, you don't get in the order.

Final order details are announced at the time of ordering.

When the shipment arrives, I will pick it up from the airport and bring it to my house (anyone want to help?) It will receive a quick cleaning and then go into 35 gallon plastic trashcans (with water). Pictures and weight will be taken of each peice.

The following weekend, we all gather and as you show up, you pick a number out of a hat. This is your lottery number.

The numbers go in order, picking one peice per cycle through. When you have picked your limit in weight, you are done. If you paid for more than one type of rock, you will pick one from each type on each cycle through.

If you go over your weight limit (which is likely given the variables) you will be charged the cost per pound (for that type of rock) including the shipping charges.

Swapping after the picking is up to the individuals.

There will be some extra ordered, in case you want to get a few extra peices. You will have to pay me for this (as I will be putting out the money for that).

Curing services will be available for an extra fee (paid to me). You can pick the rock up when it's done curing).

Frag trading and the related are more than welcome. :)

I think that pretty much covers the process that I want to follow. If you have any thoughts/additions/etc, please send them to me, but this is the general idea. I'm not going to make money on this (hell, I have to buy the 35 gallon trash cans and salt to start it!), and curing won't cost too much (thinking $1 per lb or something....)

If you are interested....I need the following inforation:

Name:
Pounds of each type of rock desired:
-- Fiji Standard:
-- Fiji Branch:
-- Fiji Hand Picked:
-- Live Sand:
Do you need curing service?
If you'd rather use a different vendor, who?

If you want to send me e-mail, kcolagio@yahoo.com is the best way (I get it at home and work), or home is: kdc@rochester.rr.com

Any questions, let me know.

kcolagio
04/12/2002, 08:50 AM
*grin* OK, I'll start it. :P

Kevin, what a great idea! That would really help save on shipping costs and give me more flexibility on what I'm getting.

Here's the info as requested.

Name: Kevin Colagio
Pounds of each type of rock desired:
-- Fiji Standard: 15
-- Fiji Branch: 10
-- Fiji Hand Picked:
-- Live Sand: 5
Do you need curing service? Nope, got it covered!
If you'd rather use a different vendor, who? FFE is fine.

Thanks!
*stupid grin*

mirski57
06/05/2002, 10:10 AM
Just out of curiousity ? Did this order ever take place ?

I'm currently curing 100+ lbs of very old Fiji rock (was sitting in someone's garage in styrofoam boxes for over a year); and I'd be interested in seeding with some real LR that would have some critters.

Anyone one have extra ? I'm not looking for much. Maybe 1 or 2 pieces weighing in at 5-10 lbs. Just something to give it a kick. I suppose I could just go to Marine Oasis or something to get a piece.

Thanks,
Mirski57

kcolagio
06/05/2002, 11:54 AM
Nope, didn't happen.

I only wanted about 20 lbs or so...so I wasn't going to order it myself (what's the use?) which is why I tried this.

As you can see, no one else was interested. *shrug*

Of course, if there is enough interest, I'll try and schedule one for later in the summer or something.....

RandyO
06/05/2002, 12:16 PM
Rochester people,
I can get boxes of uncured fiji rock for you through Pet's Plus. The cost is 200.00 for a 44 pound box. All shipping included. I might even be able to include the tax.
If you get five boxes or more, the distributor(Walt Smith) gives a price break. And another a 10 boxes, and at 20 boxes.
So who's in for 20 boxes?

ReeferMac
06/05/2002, 04:51 PM
I think guy might need 6-7 for his little refugium (oooh, could get transhipped... Cure it under the lights before hooking it to the system... I did that w/ Microalgae one time...) That's a start of an order. Figure TFP will want a couple for themselves.. Now, who's got a box truck to go pick all this crap up at the Airport?
:p

- Mac

Kent E
06/29/2002, 10:39 PM
Its probably too late, I would be in for 40#

cperson
06/30/2002, 05:45 AM
Dan @ Caribbean Forest said he can meet (maybe beat?) the price kcolagio stated (about $4.50 / lb.). It's more convenient for us since it would be unpacked and available at his store. He asked me to spread the word. Call him for details if your interested.

kcolagio
06/30/2002, 05:42 PM
Wow....that's quite a cut for them. I'm surprised they'd do that, but if they will, cool!

I was just planning (originally) of doing a bulk order to save some money. If we can get the same price locally, I'm all for it.

mech-reef
06/30/2002, 08:59 PM
I'm new to your club, but can offer some assistance. I can get you all the Fiji you want for 3.50 a lb. delivered. I will pick it up and bring it to you. Add .50 for curing. I can also get Tonga and Marshall at excellent pricing.

Kent E
07/01/2002, 09:23 AM
I suppose buying local would be best. Wow, maybe we should leverage our buying power, and buy bulk as a group locally when needed. THis may really keep the price down. Also, if the store knew ahead of time it wouldn't lose out because they could order in greater bulk in anticipation of our bulk purchase. Do we negociate further or screw it and just go to the store?
Kent