PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Pieces for Homemade Eco-Mega-System!

Magna Shrimp
04/10/2002, 09:16 PM
:cool: Hey All,
Thanks to all who gave me live sand and macro algae, espcially Doug for his macro algae! It has now engulfed my sump! Ok, now to the main point. I am looking to create a Eco-System like filter on which I can add a larger end sump area to allow for mechanical objects such as a U.V. and Protein Skimmer. If anyone has any acrylic pieces or knows where I can get some for a reasonable price please let me know! I would greatly appreciate any input and assistance in this "operation"! Thanks again! :cool:

Jerry Gonzales
04/10/2002, 11:33 PM
Hi Jason,
Do you want to have your refugium and space for your skimmer,etc. all in one set up? Have you thought about using rubbermaid containers. I use a 30g rubbermaid for my sump. It houses my skimmer, heaters, and top off float. The cost to build it was only about 10$, But if you want to see through it, Regal plastics on S Sante Fe Dr. or a place just west of Great Barrier Reefs (Fish store) on Oxford and S Sante Fe Dr. If you need a bulkhead for your new set up, just let me know. I have some extra 1" ones if you need one. Then go to Home Depot and pick up some couplings and other misc. parts. :D If you want to go the rubbermaid way, I would me more than happy to help you...
Jerry:)

bradwent
04/11/2002, 11:11 PM
Jerry,

Have you, or anyone else, made any purchases from Regal Plastics or the other location? I would like to know if either place will make straight custom cuts and how smooth the cuts are. If no one knows I guess I could call them and post back. I have that 72 bowfront and the stand will not fit a 20L tank and I was thinking about building something with custom dimensions. Actually, a 72 will fit a 20L, but you have to drop the tank down through the top of the stand with the main tank off and I am not willing to tear down my tank.

Jason,

Did you happen to read this? Tips on Working with Acrylic (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-04/jg/index.htm)