PDA

View Full Version : Angel?

jersey
04/10/2002, 02:08 PM
Can large angels, such as the french, live with dwarf angels? If not, what would you consider a good tank mate? Something less than 4", not a messy eater?

mst_RoadRash
04/10/2002, 04:24 PM
Some do, some don't. It depends a LOT on the individual fish and the size of the tank. The bigger the tank the more likely it is to work.

daveR

jersey
04/10/2002, 07:12 PM
More info, hopefully more comments. 90 gallon F/O tank, dsb, live rock. 25 gallon sump, Euro- reef cs-6 skimmer, mag 12 return pump.

I would like to add one other fish to the 90. Already have clowns, flame hawk, six-line wrasse and a lawnmower blennie in my reef tank.

Dwarf angel would be nice. Is it possible with a juvenile french angel? The french is about 5", had her for about a year.

JDM130
04/11/2002, 10:51 AM
IMO, I would'nt chance it. A 90 is a nice size tank but not suitable to keep a French for the long haul. I had a mated pair of French Angels in a 150 for 4 years until they outgrew it. I brought them to the NJ state aquarium in Camden about 2 years ago. And from what I was told they have successfully bred for them several times. I currently have a large French in a 180gal. tank. She is about 9" long and very full looking. She still has one juvenile stripe on her. But she is on her way to outgrowing this tank as well. If you would like to see pics of these fish, click on my page below. Aside from the tank being to small for a large Angel, I don't think your bio filtration ie: LR/LS will be able to suport an adult Angel without some assistance from an outside filter as well. Again this is JMO and experiences, Others may disagree.
Best of Luck...............Jeff

http://community.webtv.net/jl1171/FishPics

jersey
04/11/2002, 02:36 PM
Hi Jeff, thanks for the reply. I don't live to far from the Camden Aquarium, I gotta check your angels out. By the way, what do you mean by assistance from an outside filter? I will post some pics of your pair when I go to the aquarium.

JDM130
04/11/2002, 10:48 PM
Yea, That would be great! I have some pics of them when we were transfering them there and when they arrived to the aquarium, I have to dig them out and post them.
What I meant about the bio filtration? IMO, LR/LS will not be enough to suport a Large Angel. I think eventually you will run into problems with your current bio filtration not being able to keep up with the load of a large Angel. They are grazers and eat all day long on greens, and also need meaty foods in their diets, Mine eats everything my grouper and Lion eats, including silversides, clams, squid, mussles, scallops, shrimp, Angel formula, formula1 and 2, and live sponge. They eat a lot hence, create a large bioload to any system.
However, your system will grow with the fish, I just don't know if will be able to keep up in the long run. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of LR/LS, but more so for reef type smaller fishes and corals. As I stated this is JMO, as always YMMV.
HTH's................Jeff

jersey
04/12/2002, 07:05 AM
Jeff I would love to see more pics, especial the ones of the transfer to the aquarium. hardly ever see any pictures of them here.

You hit the nail on the head about the angels being big waste producers. I hope to keep my french in the 90 for about a year, then upgrade to a much larger tank. I think I will pass on another angel for 90. I will probably move my flame hawk and six line wrasse into the 90 with her.

I have been wanting to go to the aquarium in Camden since it opened but never got around to it. Now I have incentive. I won't be going this weekend, I will be setting up the 90.

Time to make the RO gotta go. Post the pics when you have time.

Bob