PDA

View Full Version : Setup

Aquareefer776
02/22/2006, 09:54 PM
Is there anywhere on the net or the forums that maybe i missed, that can show me a diagram of how to setup everything. I know each setup will be different for differnet people, but just a basic idea. So i can start getting an idea of how and where things should go like a sump tank, how it and to where runs etc. Basics.
Thanks

GorillaReefer
02/22/2006, 10:16 PM
The DYI forums have a lot of useful info. Just search there threads.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3

lanxang
02/22/2006, 11:15 PM
or you can try the "new to the hobby" forum. Click on "forums" button on top.

Another option is to list what equipments you currently have and we can help you set it up. Can't beat having locals help you out or better yet, meet us this Saturday.

Sumps are usually under the main or display tank. They serve the purpose of hidding some of your equipments and also add more water volume. Water is moved from the main tank to the sump via Overflow box (non drill tank) or having your tank drilled. Then a returned pump is used to well return the water. Most people have the skimmer (used for nutrient export), heater, and misc equipment that doesn't need to be used in the display. Sometime, you can section your sump to also have a refugium.

A refugium is also used for nutrient export but it can also provide a place for pods to grow and feed your tank.

Hope this was what you were looking for if not, keep asking questions. This was why the club was founded and we will more than happy to help each other out.

oh WELCOME TO THE RC and CLUB.

mothra
02/22/2006, 11:29 PM
This site may give you a better visual of how a sump works.

http://melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

He builds a lot of sumps, and has a lot of pictures in addition to the diagram and write up. There are a couple of things I prefer to differently then his diagram, once you have absorbed it come back and I'll elaborate.

Aquareefer776
02/23/2006, 03:24 AM
That was a great example pretty much what I was looking for! thanks! Although I dont know if I want the stuff showing in my tank like the pictures Iseen on the site, which means I guess I will have to have my tank drilled right? For now I am thinking of using my 45 Gal. tank with a 12 Gal. as a sump for the extra volume. They are both glass which mean drilling will have to be done gently on the main :-) As for other equipment I haven't the slightest idea! lol. I am looing to start just collecting parts and equipment for the time being as family and I are planning on buying house soon and don't want to have to move the tank and inhabitants more than neccessary.

Jesus
02/23/2006, 04:00 AM
I think that you do not want to drill your main tank since it's glass. You can buy a hung on over flow.

jesus

mothra
02/23/2006, 09:34 AM
Jesus is right. You don't want to drill the bottom of a glass tank because it is most likely tempered and will shatter. I have seen some people drill the sides but I would be scared to do it personally!

I uploaded the rough draft of the new to saltwater write-up. It is incomplete, and hard to navigate through but it might help you out.
http://nvreefers.org/newtosalt.php

MonKei
02/23/2006, 10:33 AM
thats a very good start to an excelent "getting into the hobby" writeup!!! great read!
-thayer