PDA

View Full Version : banded shark in 70gal?

PicassoTrigger
04/10/2002, 02:10 AM
tanks been established a few years now, its a 70gal sea star with 60lbs live rock, fluval 404 cannister, 2 fluval 802 powerheads, rio 600 powerhead, bakpak 2r skimmer (with rio 800), and about 120 lbs live rock. Take occupants are 1 5" blue tang, 1 4.5" niger trigger, 1 4" picasso trigger, 1 5" volitan lion fish, and 2 medium size hermit crabs.

Will my tank accomodate 1 more occupant, a 5" banded shark? Hypothetically speaking, would my 70gal accomodate such an animal?.Does this type of shark grow quite large?

Fishotch
04/10/2002, 02:11 PM
well, i don't know for sure, but I'm fairly sure that the shark would outgrow the tank. try wetwebmedia.com i think he mentions this type of shark.

Ovrclckd
04/10/2002, 02:33 PM
In my opinion, your tank is already overstocked as it is, those fish will still grow a ton. In two years, a 5" hatchling turns into a three foot adult, regardless of tank size. You don't need that. Not to mention triggers have the habit of picking at the eyes/body of sharks, causing blindness, and open wounds.

My sharks (I have a pair) are in a 480 gallon, which is a good size for them. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 180. Don't even think about trying a shark in your 70 gallon - if the triggers don't kill it, it'll just outgrow the tank (easily) within its first year.

Wolverine
04/10/2002, 03:21 PM
Well, I just replied to your other thread about this, but I'll post it here too:

Just to reinforce things, first I agree with ajx22 that you're basically maxed out on bioload, and you might already find that you have troubles once things get bigger, especially the lionfish.

As for the shark, back when I was a newbie, and hadn't really discovered the beauty of aquarium books and the bbs, my roommate and I decided to try out a small bamboo shark in a 50g tank with a 4" niger and 6" blue-lined grouper. That lasted for about 5 minutes. The second that shark got into the tank, the two fish started beating the absolute **** out of it. They were relentless until my roommate reached in and got the shark by hand to get it back into the bag quickly. So this is another issue to consider, aside from the issue of the shark getting too big. If we had left it in there, it would have been dead within an hour.

Dave

PS watch those triggers with the lion, esp the picasso, since they often develop a taste for lionfish fins, and tear them apart.

PicassoTrigger
04/10/2002, 04:36 PM
No, i was just 'toying' with the idea, an entertaining thought without any sense of realism. Theres no chance I'll put a shark, any type of shark in my tank for that matter due to the constraints of the tank size and the growth rate and diet of the shark. As for the tanks current occupants i know with the bioload i have i can easily support another few medium sized fish without causing disruption as i have lots of biofiltration however I could expect to increase frequency of water changes and perhaps invest in a bigger skimmer. ANyway I may add a yellow tang in a few months or get rid of my blue tang as it is growing rather large as expected. Regardless the tank is already crowded not in terms of bioload but more in terms of moving space so I will not be so liberal in future.

PicassoTrigger
04/10/2002, 04:37 PM
No, i was just 'toying' with the idea, an entertaining thought without any sense of realism. Theres no chance I'll put a shark, any type of shark in my tank for that matter due to the constraints of the tank size and the growth rate and diet of the shark. As for the tanks current occupants i know with the bioload i have i can easily support another few medium sized fish without causing disruption to the biological filtration however I could expect to increase frequency of water changes and perhaps invest in a bigger skimmer to remove inorganics. ANyway I may add a yellow tang in a few months or get rid of my blue tang as it is growing rather large as expected. Regardless the tank is already crowded not in terms of bioload but more in terms of moving space so I will not be so liberal in future.