PDA

View Full Version : how is the hobby in OKI?

ltmguy
02/21/2006, 02:37 AM
I have read most of your New posts and to say the least it sounds as if you have a great club statred there in OKI. I have a few years of experience with my most recent tank being a 55g reef.
I'm presently in 29palms, moved from DC so had to sell the whole kit-n-kabootal. Broke my heart to say the least. Presently my wife and I are planning our future and are looking at OKI for our next tour(pcs in May 2008). We have some time to think and a question or more arises. First of all, how's the fishing around there? Secondly, Shold we purchase dry goods here in the states before we PCS or just wait and pick up some items from those who may be PCSing from OKI? Bar in mind we have limited weight allowance for HHGs.
Looks actually as if live-stock and live rock are pretty easily acquired for reasonable prices there. Especially from what prices we are used to in DC. On the coral farms site I couold only pull up a japanese site and couldn't translate it. Do you guys know how to get a translated page up on my computer so I can look at prices?
Finally, when are you guys PCSing and who plans to keep up the site after you do?
I look forward to your replies.
Mike

vest0830
02/21/2006, 07:02 AM
Generally, from what I read, livestock is cheaper over here. Dry goods, I order all of mine from the states personally. I would recommend purchasing the goods prior to getting here, or just wait and order stuff. I got my shippment from premium aquatics in 5 days. thats comming from indiana to okinawa, japan. pretty dam sweet in my opinion.

you can take over my tank when you get here. im suspossed to leave in june of '08 as of now. im gonna try to extend though. I hope to pass it onto someone maybe.

vest0830
02/21/2006, 07:06 AM
something I forgot to add. google ppmokinawa.com and it will bring up the website, but google will translate it for you. I use that on a daily basis.

Dastank
02/21/2006, 09:21 PM
First of all, how's the fishing around there?

From a person whose first love is fishing and second is my tank, I would highly recommend coming here. The fishing here is great! You can fish from shore or boat, and it's pretty much year round, not to mention you can travel to the outer islands for great fishing. The ocean can be very rough and limit boat trips at times, but there's always a place to fish if you want too.

ltmguy
02/23/2006, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the input. Also Thanks for the offer of the tank. I may just take you up on that. I will probably just order when I geth there considering I'm coming with my wife and two kids and you can only ship 25% of your HHG weight.
I can't wait to see this LR you guys keep talking of for so cheap. I certainly don't miss paying for $6-$10/lb pieces.
I'll keep up with the posts and add any info or knowledge i have. Again thanks for the replies, I look forward to hearing from more of the Oki Gang.
Mike

hot4teacher
02/24/2006, 06:10 PM
A favorite little site of mine for translation. Doesn't always work and it isn't a perfect translation, but I get the jist of what is being said:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr

vest0830
02/24/2006, 07:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6806753#post6806753 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ltmguy
[B]I will probably just order when I geth there considering I'm coming with my wife and two kids and you can only ship 25% of your HHG weight.

dont let them BS you when it comes time to come. they told me and my wife we couldnt bring alot of stuff...and here it sits in our living room. just dont go over your weight. Now from what im being told, the amount of weight you have when you come over here, and the amount of weight you have when going back are 2 totally different numbers.