PDA

View Full Version : blue damsel tank mates

Tee
04/09/2002, 09:11 PM
Are there any fish you can keep with a blue damsel in a 29? I understand they are devils.

FMarini
04/09/2002, 09:53 PM
Hi:
I would expect the damsel to kick the snot out of most fish which will be introduced into this small tank, especially if he is eastablished.
Problem is in a small tank like this, you can't really get a larger fish which might put up a decent fight. i would say something like a trigger might hold its own, problem is this tank is too small for triggers
Is there a lot of live rock?
Are you really set on keeping this damsel?, if so maybe consider additional damsels
Anyone else w/ ideas?
frank

reefboi
04/09/2002, 10:33 PM
:lmao: Yeah... A Queen Trigger LOL!!! :lol:

billsreef
04/09/2002, 10:55 PM
The other name for a Blue Damsel......Blue DEVIL :D

Tee
04/10/2002, 06:24 AM
can other damsels be kept in there? If so which ones? More devils or a yellow tail?
I'm sure these sound like stupid questions to you guys but I'm trying to learn. Thanks for your help

mst_RoadRash
04/10/2002, 10:17 AM
You can try to add a couple of other damsels in the tank but likely, they'll just end up fighting. Damsels are VERY territorial and will kill each other if the territory get's invaded.

If you have a damsel in the tank already and wish to add more, the best thing to do is to rearrange ALL of the live rock and immediately introduce the new fish. Doing that helps to start them all out on an even playing field.

Be aware that most adult damsels are ugly fish. They change into bigger fish with bigger attitude problems. They usually turn brown, gray, or black depending on the species and are just down right nasty as adults.

daveR

Tee
04/10/2002, 10:51 AM
Thanks. What about inverts? Are they nasty toward them too? I was thinking about getting a shrimp.

Mad Scientist
04/11/2002, 09:31 AM
From my experience, devils are safe with shrimp.

ecugman
04/11/2002, 02:28 PM
Tee,

Do yourself a BIG favor and take the damsel back to the LFS. There a lots of options out there for a small tank, BUT NOT with that damsel!

JMHO

Tee
04/11/2002, 03:45 PM
Thanks for your help, I'm setting up a 10gal for him to have to himself