PDA

View Full Version : Corner Overflow Basic Questions

Olgranddad
10/19/2000, 05:15 AM
I got some basic questions. I am setting up my first aquarium with an corner overflow. The bulkhead holes are 1 1/4" and 1" big. I assume that the larger hole is for the drain to the sump and that the smaller hole is the return from the sump. Is that a correct assumption. Next, I have cut some pvc to pipe the overflow to the sump. At the bulkhead, am I supposed to put some kind of o-ring on each side, do I seal it with silacone, or is there something else that needs to be done.

Thanks
Olgranddad

Snailman
10/19/2000, 05:28 AM
You are right, the big hole is the drain and the small hole is the return. Buy good bulkhead fittings not cheap ones. I have had the cheap ones crack on me and that is a real mess. :( Bulkhead fittings come with a rubber gasket so you do not and should not seal it with anything else in case you ever need to remove it. Do not overtighten the bulkhead fitting because you can break them. Hand tight and just a hair more. I have tried hard PVC plumbing and vinyl tubing and finally flexable PVC and that is by far my favorite.