PDA

View Full Version : my breeding Bangaiis

amber
04/09/2002, 07:56 PM
I have a pair of breeding Bangaii in my 125 gal tank (with about 100 lbs of live rock).

I have set up a nice new tank for them--38 gal--and their kids. They are consistantly breeding but we have seen only one baby, one time. We can guess someone is getting fresh fish food....

The question is: do you have a wonderful tricks for catching these buggers and moving them to their new home? I am currently putting blood worms (live) in a net and hoping they will learn to feed IN the net. So far no luck.

Any advice will be appreciated. Amber:)

FMarini
04/09/2002, 10:06 PM
Amber:
Please do a search for posts from GUY , especially in this forum. He has posted a technique he used to catch his preggo male. It involves a flashlight and net.
Otherwise i can suggest you add a fake or real urchin to our tank when the male is ready to release the fry, they seem to really graviate to this, and can be siphoned out of the tank.
frank

Python73
04/10/2002, 10:22 AM
Amber - did you try tricking them into swimming near a net during feeding? Mine are both pigs, and the ALWAYS run to the front of the tank when they think I'm going to feed. I plan to just scoop mine up then, during a feeding.

Obviously, this won't work once the male is pregnant.

My plan is to house the pair in the breeding tank, then net out the FEMALE once the male is carrying. Thus, no stress to male via netting. Then I can fatten up the male for a few days after he releases, while the babies hide in urchins. Then I'll net him up, move him back to the 90g, and start again after the fry get raised out. If I lose a batch in between, oh well.

S !

Guy
04/10/2002, 11:01 AM
Here's the thread Frank referred to: http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50060

Wild Card-inal
04/11/2002, 07:38 PM
Not only urchins, but I have also heard Caulerpa (macroalgae) will help the Banggers (Marini's term for baby Banggais) because they hide in that too.