PDA

View Full Version : More questions here!

Salyers890
04/09/2002, 04:58 PM
Hey there. . . . the substrate that i baught is called superreef seaflor, by caribsea aragonite 1-4mm . . . . . . . . it has little pieces of shell and some whole small shells in it though, that's why i thought it was CC. . . it says it's meant for use on DSB's, but it doesn't look like sand to me. . . . . .i baught 80lbs of it and it's settled in the tank now. . . . . about 4 inches at the highest point (the front goes down for asthetics). Do you think this will work for a DSB in a FOWLR, and if i get some live sand to seed it will it seed or is it to large. . . . i tried to post a picture in here, but don't know how. . .did my best. . .we'll see how it works out. . . . .
2nd question. . . . not going to do it, but for future plans, could i just put a bulkhead at the bottom of a power filter, making sure the impeller was always underwater, and use that as an overflow to go to a sump? what'ya think? C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\jj\image34.jpg

Salyers890
04/09/2002, 05:04 PM
i know it's bad quality, but i'll try again, my camera's not the greatest. . . .i'm holding a quarter so you can see the size of the substrate. . . the back is about 4-5 inches deep, so am i going to be dealing with a detritus trap, or a DSB? C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\jj\image44.jpg

billsreef
04/09/2002, 10:49 PM
The seafloor grade is good for plenum type DSB's. IMO they are higher maintainence (they do collect detritus) than a plain DSB of fine sugar size sand. Some of the larger grains are alright, but the majority of the substrate should be fine sand to get a functional DSB as you might have seen described by Dr. Ron ;)