PDA

View Full Version : wood canopy for 20g high

danman
10/18/2000, 11:40 PM
HI, I'm in the process of drawing up a wooden canopy for a 20 h. that will be reef. I'm looking for advice of all kinds.

specifically, how do I make it accessible. hinge. leave top short. ????

also, how should I accomodate for hang on filter?

thanks
Daniel

max628
10/19/2000, 12:33 PM
Im doing the same thing let me know what you come up with. Leave the back open to accomadate hang on items. Im thinking 1x6 oak boards at Lowes around three sides. also on top. hinged so the complete top and front pivot up together. Saw one similar on somebodys web page. one complete top means more room for lights. Good luck

David Grigor
10/19/2000, 04:01 PM
I have built several canopys for 30g up to 90g tanks......

Each one a revision of the other. My favorite ( and simplier ) especially for a small tank is to build a three sided canopy leaving the top open with exception of some supports to hold up the lights and place eggcrate on top which is painted to match the color of the canopy. It easier to make and easier to access and get extra ventalation.

One thing to consider though is the height of which it will be viewed. for a small tank you may be able to see the top more than a 6' tall stand/tank/canopy for a 75-90g.

On something that small. If you need to do some major work inside the tank then just lift the whole canopy off instead of making a hinged hood with lights mounted on the top....

danman
10/19/2000, 09:51 PM
Thanks guys.

Max...funny that you should mention the lowes boards, I just came home with one tonight. It's 1X8. oak. I have a huge L shaped desk that I built from the same wood, which the tank is sitting on. It has potential to look real good. I think I'm going include a back so that light doesn't escape? But I'll cut holes and rectangles in it for wiring and equip. And I'm thinking of hinging it about 3 inches from the back. That should leave me enough room for the lights. I considered no hinge like was mentioned and just lifting it off, but thats alot of work, with a full oak canopy. I'm not that enthusiastic after a full day of school and then a full day of work too. I need a hinge! Are you going to put glass in it? I'm thinking right now of just leaving my glass cover on the tank, and when the canopy hinges up, I can then open the glass cover hinge?

keep me posted on your plans...hey what are you going to use for lighting?
Daniel