PDA

View Full Version : Built your own Wet/Dry?

Infern0
02/19/2006, 11:54 AM
Anyone here build their own wet/dry filter or sump combo? I've been holding out for a good deal on a wet/dry for my 125 gal tank because of the outrageoud LFS prices and haven't had any luck. I'm very anxious to get fish into my tank but wont do it till I've got an established filter running. I know in theory they aren't hard to build, but has anyone here done it?

Kragon
02/20/2006, 09:11 AM
I did with a 20 gal tank and Plexiglass from Home Depot. Then grabbed some bio balls and filter drain out of an old canister for the train. Need help?

Ryan

Infern0
02/20/2006, 03:11 PM
Yes definitely.

I just added about 60 lbs of sand too so I have a huge cloudy mess that a filter would do wonders on.

I'm very eager to add fish....all I need is the filter.

I'm mainly concerned about not having an overflow all over the floor.

I have the general concept of gluing pieces of acrylic or plastic to make the different baffles, but the part that scares me is making sure that it isn't going to suck down too much water and over fill the filter...or making it so that if there's a power outtage and the return pump fails, that IT wont over fill the filter before the siphon breaks on the intake. Those mechanics have got me nervous. I'd also like to have the return replace the power heads that are in the tank...which seems pretty easy if I can get that other stuff in control first.

Kragon
02/20/2006, 09:19 PM
PM sent