PDA

View Full Version : Filtration question

ghostrider
04/09/2002, 12:46 PM
I have just purchased a Aqua Clear pro-75 wetdry filter with bio-balls and a built in skimmer.. I have read many threads on here telling others to remove the bio balls for a FOWLR tank. here are my tank stats

55gal with about 3 1/2" dsb 30# lr

just took off the hang on Topfin 60 filter and Prism hangon skimmer..

I was wondering what your take would be on leaving the Bio-balls or if you think that I should remove them and why??

Thanks for your input on this....

Billy A.K.A ghostrider

FMarini
04/09/2002, 01:56 PM
Ghost:
Depending on your tank bioload, most likely the bioballs will be redundant. Is it possible to add a bit more live rock? like another 10-15lbs? If so then scrap the bioballs altogether.
The WHY is easy...becuz tbioballs serve the same function as the live sand and live rock. They are a support for bactria. Except in a bioball chamber (AKA wet/dry) the denitrification stops at the reduction of ammonia to nitrIte. Since the next step requires anerobic bacteria, this will only occur in low oxygen zones (like the kind found in the LR, and DSB).

What is your idea of fish and this set-up?

frank

ghostrider
04/09/2002, 05:39 PM
Well I know for sure that I am going to have a snowflake eel maybe a clown trigger a few dwarf Angels and so far that's all I have thought about...:D

FMarini
04/09/2002, 09:59 PM
Ghostrider:
Okay so lets work on one thing at a time.
The snowflake eel will be fine in this tank as a juvei, As will the clown. However you will need a much bigger tank about 1 yr later. Adult clowns are very large fish.
So a DSB and live rock should be suffieint for these two fish. The wet/dry maybe useful only if you plan on adding more fish. Problem is the clown trigger. As a juvenile he should be fine, however w/in a few months and once hes feeling comfortable i would expect him to potshot his tankmates.
Of course every trigger is different and you can't say this for every trigger, but in general terms clown triggers are a boisterous trigger.
maybe Stick w/ the snowflake and clown for a while
frank

billsreef
04/09/2002, 10:54 PM
Frank is being generously kind with his description of the clown's typical personality :D I've got a ~5" one at the shop that likes to go after people through the glass :eek2: