PDA

View Full Version : dwarf lion behavior help please

T-T-Trigger
04/09/2002, 01:25 AM
Hey kiddos, I introduced a second fuzzy into the tank today and it hid immediately so I only watched for a couple of minutes, it looked like he was gonna stay there for a while.

When I came back he was out in the wide open near the front of the tank and I thought that was odd, why? Well about a minute later the other (bigger) fuz starts stalking him w/ wide open mouth, head down and pec fins spread wide! they were darting all around the tank...like lightning fast, it was wild.

Is this a sign of non-acceptance? Or will it diminish after a day or two? I will remove the new lion immediately if more than his pride is at stake. They seem to have a temporary truce in effect right now, but I don't know for how long.

Please let me know what you think, thanks :)

FMarini
04/09/2002, 08:00 AM
Fight. fight. fight.....
Can you post a picture of this new fuzzy particularly what the pec fins look like?
Dwarf fuzzy are one of the lions where they stake territories and often will beef w/ new additions. I don't recall totally, but I thought your established fuzzy is a female.
You were observing an aggressive posture.

Scott Michael states in his book that "groups can be kept if one large indivdual and several smaller individuals are added. If serious antagonism occurs between two specimens, they will need to be seperated.

Give it another day and if you start seeing torn fins, yank the new guy
frank

T-T-Trigger
04/09/2002, 11:42 AM
Here is a photo, she(?) is hiding deep in the tanks main cave so I had to the flash to get a decent photo. And yes Frank, your memory serves you well, the established fish is presumably a female.

The new ones coloration is pale this morning, might have been a rough night...:( but I see no damage. I hate to add the stress of an additional bagging then a trip back to the fish store. Maybe I'll just throw a 10g together for now and bring her back in a few days time after she rests and eats some.

tia,
chris

T-T-Trigger
04/09/2002, 11:51 AM
This is a full shot of the tank, to give you an idea of what I have going.

FMarini
04/09/2002, 01:37 PM
Hi:
looks like it might be a young female. good thick stripes, and the pec fins appear (althou hard to see for sure) to stop short of the caudaul pedencle.
Good colors too. Nice and yellow
Keep and eye on it for a while, see if they called a truce

T-T-Trigger
04/12/2002, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the insight oh great lion king!!lol :D Your feedback is always appreciated.

The chasing ended but I didn't see her anywhere for two days, even at feeding. So during a water change/tank cleaning session I went in after her. Finally found her (when I was just about to give up) deep behind a huge rock. I netted her and set up her own 20g tank. She has since eaten well and is out in the open alot. Her color has mostly returned too, the body was very pale w/ a tear in the tail-fin.

Here is a photo of the now happy (hopefully) fuzzykins: