PDA

View Full Version : Livestock in a sump?

MrMonkeyFingers
02/17/2006, 06:15 PM
Now that I'm running the sump should I have any snails or crabs in there? I have seen a few little snails and some small star fish but should I have anything bigger in there to eat any unwanted algea or anything that I don't want to grow in there? also how often do you guys take and totally clean the sump out?

irmee4
02/17/2006, 07:41 PM
i would not recommend it, often times they get sucked up in the pumps. if there's no light around your sump, then you wont have a problem with algae. I clean my sump out about once a yr, just by siphoning the detirius out.

cyclebrkr
02/17/2006, 07:45 PM
I never take my sump out and clean it. It's in the dark most of the time as it's not a refugium. I just wipe the sides and make it look pretty when i do a water change.
Is you sump a refugium? If so, then you can put little critters down in there, otherwise it would be of no benefit to put them in there. They would probably die when they got sucked up by your return pump anyway.

MrMonkeyFingers
02/17/2006, 08:32 PM
ok, that's what I thought.... it's just a straight sump no refugium thanks for the info!