PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place for colorful dwarf seahorses?

A\/enger
04/08/2002, 08:43 PM
I would like to put 4 Hippocampus zosterae seahorses or some other smaller seahorse in my 7 gallon minibow tank. Its set up and ready for the horses.

SeaNemesis
04/08/2002, 09:03 PM
I belive Bob from Florida Collector is your best bet. It may take awhile for him to respond, but in my experience he is really great. There is also seahorsefarms.com and seahorseworld.com. They also are good. You can email Bob directly at seahorse@floridacollector.com I would go with at least 6 dwarfs in that size tank.

A\/enger
04/08/2002, 09:12 PM
With that size tank would it be best to stick with the dwarfs or to go with so that are a little bigger?

SeaNemesis
04/09/2002, 08:31 AM
With a 7 gal I would just stay with the dwarfs.

DrMilhouse
04/11/2002, 06:20 PM
You and I are using the same tank :) I also use it for dwarves. Do not go with anything bigger than that. Bob at floridacollector.com is who supplied my horses. 4 will not be enough really, you'll have a pretty empty tank with only four. Make sure you get the tank stablized well and then get your horses. If you deal with Bob count on 2 weeks of time before you get your horses delivered. Email responses are pretty slow. He seems like a great guy, but I think this is his hobby. I have not dealt with seahorsefarms.com but if I order again in the future I'm likely to try them out. Their shipping costs are considerably less either way is fine, but just understand ahead of time that Bob will have some delay getting back to you.

Unfortunately, my first shipment from him came in with 50% loss. :( They came in on an unreasonably cold day and the water was around 50-55 degrees upon their arival. That weather was not expected and normal shipping would have been fine had it not been for the weather. He's fulfilled that and made up with some extras to cover shipping. That should be shipped to me next week, I'm watching to hopefully have them arrive warmer this time. He doesn't pay shipping for the loss, but he's made up for it and he's a good guy. You can try either place and you should have great results.

You'll find a ton of information and actually a full section of a message board dedicated to dwarves found at http://www.seahorse.org You'll find a ton of information and always a friendly response!

DrMilhouse
04/18/2002, 08:49 PM
Avenger, here is my tank. I've got four in there now, but I have some more coming. There some other pics in the link below, but heres a full tank shot:

http://members.fbody.com/drmilhouse/horses/06.jpg

other shots (http://members.fbody.com/drmilhouse/horses/) are here, sorry it's not in a pretty page or album and not all the shots are great, but at least there up for all to view.

A\/enger
04/18/2002, 09:22 PM
Nice tank DrMilhouse. These 7 gallon minibows are great little tanks.

_ShotgunShrimp_
04/18/2002, 11:37 PM
Well.. if i was you i wouldnt bother with these lame people

they will send you an email.. saying your order is being processed take your money and ship nothing.. if you ask about the shippment they will proceed to cancle your order...

needless to say im NOT pleased with these people... very poor buisness tactics....:mad:

DrMilhouse
04/18/2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by A\/enger
Nice tank DrMilhouse. These 7 gallon minibows are great little tanks.

Thanks, I'm really enjoying it. :) They are great, really great for these guys.

For the last post, it should be noted what company was being spoken of. I'm assuming seahorsefarms.com cause that's the topic in that post. Not everyone notices the topic changes though. just thought i'd point that out. :)

I'm still happy with Bob at FC, we'll find out tomorrow if that's still true :D

Zane
04/20/2002, 12:30 PM
How much current can the dwarfs have? i am building a nano reef and would like to see if i can put dwarfs in it.

SeaNemesis
04/20/2002, 07:57 PM
VERY little current, dwarf seahorse diet is not the best considering it is mainly bbs. Also they breed very often and the fry would also not do well in higher current.