PDA

View Full Version : new to the area

Anthony Clay
02/14/2006, 03:26 PM
:bum: Hello all my name is Anthony as you already know, and i am new to the NVR Area, From Fresno and will be in manteca by tha end of the month. Have had dealings with the LFS in the area (PET BARN- WAZ UP FRANKIE).
I have a 60 gallon tank with 60# of ls and 55#of lr, a variety of livestock and corals and a 30 gal quarrintine tank.
Am looking forward to meeting all the local reefers in the NVR Area:smokin:

mothra
02/14/2006, 03:40 PM
We'll be looking forward to meeting you also. Are you moving to Manteca? I have actually never been to the Pet Barn, and someone told me recently that they expanded or are going to expand their saltwater area.

If you can make a meeting, come on out. We're on a bi-monthly schedule, our next one is the end of this month: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=761500

You know where our forum is now, so keep an eye out here for stuff going on in between months. Also if you sign up on our website (www.nvreefers.org) we'll put you on the mailing list.

Bdimas
02/14/2006, 03:41 PM
Hey Anthony. Welcome to NVR! We have a meeting on the 25th if you can make it.

MrMonkeyFingers
02/14/2006, 05:35 PM
Welcome! If you need to know where the LSF are in the Stockton area let us know!

GorillaReefer
02/14/2006, 09:49 PM
I would also like to welcome you to NVR. These are a real cool bunch of people in our Club. So if theres anything you need help with or info, just let us know.

Anthony Clay
02/15/2006, 11:21 PM
Tjanks very much for the warm welcome:) .Now Frankie at the pet barn is knowlegeble(that i know of) his selection on corals is limited though, not much of a selection:rolleyes: , but if you pick his brain........ My LFS says I can transport my livestock the same way that he receives them, in styrofoam containers, That I can put my water into two 50 gal containers and put holes in the lids for the gases to escape. Is this info right?
Also, am looking for a bigger tank. possibly a 90 to a 120 hopefully someone has one that is sitting in their garage that wifey is threating to throw out because it is collecting dust and has become an eyesore:D
Also heard stockton is getting a new store, is this true?
So until we meet again "ARIVADIRTCHE":wavehand:

dlish89
02/16/2006, 01:14 AM
Just curious where everyone goes in stockton. Anywhere besides John at Twins ? Also , for those of us who have been around for awhile, Randy, former owner of Randy's fish palace has left carters and is now in Lodi at Robinsons feed. He has only been there a short time but he is making it better every day.

MrMonkeyFingers
02/16/2006, 01:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6752125#post6752125 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Anthony Clay
My LFS says I can transport my livestock the same way that he receives them, in styrofoam containers, That I can put my water into two 50 gal containers and put holes in the lids for the gases to escape. Is this info right?

Also heard stockton is getting a new store, is this true?
So until we meet again "ARIVADIRTCHE":wavehand:

Well last year I helped a friend move his 80 gallon from San Mateo to Stockton and that is how we did it. We used igloo ice chests with holes drilled in the top with battery operated air pumps and used that for the fish and some corals. Then the rest we used 5 gallon buckets with lids and holes in them. I don't think we lost anything..

Yes Carter's is opening another store about 2 miles from their exisiting store. I think it's still a few months away.

mothra
02/16/2006, 10:43 AM
Just curious where everyone goes in stockton

I go to Twins, Carters, and Discount Pet. These day's I'm mostly buying salt and food, but I have bought some corals from Twins, and once from Discount Pet. I have bought fish and inverts from all three. NVR contributing members get discounts at each them as well.

Some people in the club have found some really good deals on fish lately, and there have been a few very nice corals popping up too. We don't usually talk about it online because we don't want the rest of the world knowing about our secret spots ;) I admittedly obtained most of my corals (and fish) through other reefers and/or from the Bay Area where we also have quite a few sponsors.

I have not been to Robinson's since Randy took over. I know they used to have some incredibly cheap livestock. I think Carters has gotten much better since Randy left and I'm excited about Danny taking over. I can't wait to see their new store when it opens (it sounds like they'll be moving).

mothra
02/16/2006, 10:51 AM
dlish, I almost forgot - welcome! It's good to see some more new faces this year. I hope you guys get a chance to come check out one of our upcoming meetings.

p.s. anyone new (or old) feel free to say 'hi' on our introductions thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=754534) if you'd like to. The forums have been a little slow lately but it's starting to pick up :)

MrMonkeyFingers
02/16/2006, 09:42 PM
there really isn't any other place in stockton except the 3 right? unless there is some secret spot I don't know about? Carter's, Twins and Discount.. am I missing any?

cyclebrkr
02/17/2006, 03:15 PM
Welcome!!! Hope to see you at the next meeting!

dlish89
02/17/2006, 03:24 PM
I haven't been to Carters in some time. There was or is a guy named Danny that works or worked at Discount. Just wondering if its the same guy your talking about at Carters.

mothra
02/17/2006, 03:29 PM
Both Carter's and Discount Pet have a fishroom manager named Danny.

dlish89
02/17/2006, 03:33 PM
I forgot to put this in my last post. I know for alot of you its alittle far to goto Sac., but there is a great fish store called O st. aquarium. I think its really a nice place. Not that its way better than the lfs's in stockton, but if your ever up in sac or just feel like taking a drive check them out.

dlish89
02/17/2006, 03:35 PM
Ah I see. The Danny at Discount is a good guy.

Bdimas
02/17/2006, 03:48 PM
I've heard some good things about O street.