PDA

View Full Version : amiracle sl 150 and carbon

realmswalker
04/07/2002, 11:52 PM
I just purchased an amiracle sl150, set it up a day ago, water clearing up a litle bit, but it just wont get that crystal clear quality that i want, equipment is as follows

30 pounds cured LR
60 pounds live sand
cpr backpack with airstone mod
amiracle sl150
60 gallon tank
1 3 in lionfish
1 4 inch yellow tang
1 large hermit crab

I have a fluval canister filter i am not using, if i threw some chemipure in there and ran it for a few days would that help clear the water a bit?

or could i just throw it in the sump and it would work that way, which would be better?

the tank is almost two months old, my water levels are pretty good, i maintain all my equipment very well, and do bi monthly ten gallon water changes. is this slight cloudiness just something im going to have for a while till my tank really settles in?

i dont feed very heavy at all, so i dont know what could be causing it, thank you for any help.

One more thing, the amiracle is rated at 55-100, i am upgrading in about a year to 100 gallons, does anyone use this filter on a 100 gallon and if so how does it do, or am i going to have to get a better wet dry system? i know ill need a better skimmer, anyone selling a nice on the so cal area?

Adam
Adam

dawgs
04/08/2002, 04:25 PM
what kind of pump are you using with the amiracle 150?

realmswalker
04/08/2002, 06:29 PM
a rio 2100

billsreef
04/08/2002, 08:29 PM
Hi Adam,

If you just set up that filter, I would sit back and wait a couple of weeks before worrying about absolutely crystal water. Odds are you just need to let things settle down.

As for using that filter on a 100g tank, most manufacturers overstate thier filters capacity. Amiracle is not an exception to that. I would consider that filter maxed out on a 75 if used as the primary filtration method.

realmswalker
04/08/2002, 10:00 PM
well it wouldnt be my primary, i would have 60-70 pounds of LR,100 pounds of LS, plus a fluval 403 running, would that be sufficient?

billsreef
04/09/2002, 10:46 PM
With all the extras you should be alright ;) IMO plenty of live rock and live sand is better than a wet dry :D