PDA

View Full Version : Roayl Gramma Care

BankerJohn
02/12/2006, 02:57 PM
My kids want another fish for the tank. I am thinking of a Royal Gramma after seeing George's (GLyle41) in the bedroom tank.

How difficult are they to keep? What do they eat? When purchased, do they typically eat flake food from the start or is there some 'training' needed?

And lastly, where to buy one?

glyle41
02/12/2006, 04:07 PM
john the one i have will eat anything that goes into the tank which usually consists of frozen enriched mysis formula 2 small pellets frozen brine even have seen it eat a little formula 2 flake i got mine from john at ichthy

dmbedard
02/13/2006, 07:09 AM
I had a royal gramma and it was beautiful and easy to keep. Good choice if you ask me. Pretty hardy too.

As far as where to get one, I like to shop for fish at the store in Brooksville when I don't feel like I can drive to FAOIS. They really love up their fish and hand feed them. It's just W of US 41 on Cortez (SR 50). Can't think of the name at the moment.
PM me if you want me to look it up.

Diane

AJ69
02/13/2006, 07:50 AM
Mine eats what ever I put in the tank.RG are really hardy,reef safe and have nice colors.:D

robthorn
02/13/2006, 07:50 AM
royal gramma's are pretty easy to acclimate to captivity and are generally pretty hardy but what you need to know about them is they are not very resistant to disease. meaning if you accidentally add a new fish you thought was clean and has ich the first other fish that will get it is the gramms. bacterial infections seem to be the same. I have had several of them and have always killed them this way. getting in a hurry and not low salinity dipping new additions has taught me some valuable lessons. nobody sells completely healthy fish. royal grammas are hit and miss on aggressiveness. I had a couple that were perfect tank mates and never messed with anyone and could be found upside down or sitting in the open righ tin the middle almost showing off. then I had the meanest little devils in my tank. way worse than a damsel. all and all they are one of my many favorite fish. oh yeah they are dirt cheap and can sometimes be found for under $10

BankerJohn
02/13/2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks all for the replies.

Diane, Please do get me the contact info for the store in Brooksville. I want to have them locate one for me. FAOIS would cost $15 in gas to get there & back.

bkwudzjeep
02/13/2006, 08:03 PM
These things are bullet-proof!! I had mine for about 2 years and just moved my tanks a few months ago. He was the only fish I never caught, and never did find him.

After the move, maybe 3 days later, I was feeding the tank and there he was!!! A few months before this, one of his eyes mysteriously disappeared....never figured out how.....he adapted to eating with one eye.

Since then, I just sold some liverock to a local reefer, and I noticed I didn't see him around for a while. Sure enough, I saw the guy who bought the rock's thread on his tank and he hitch-hicked to his newly set up tank!!!!! He is still around to this day enjoying his new home.

glyle41
02/13/2006, 10:03 PM
the store in brooksville is called coles aquatics pretty nice guys in there have bought a couple of fish from them myself

BankerJohn
02/13/2006, 10:04 PM
phone number for cole's?

dmbedard
02/14/2006, 07:08 AM
352-754-9420. I stoped by there yesterday and they have one in stock.