PDA

View Full Version : concern for FW fish

creslin2
02/12/2006, 08:17 AM
I have a group of 4 glass catfish (kryptopterus bicirrhis) and one of them had developed a fairly severe arch permanently in his spine just behind the head (he looked more like a sickle if you looked at him from above). I had just left him be, since I could detect no signs of stress or disease in him or any of the other fish, and they didn't pick at him. He lived a pretty normal life, other than slightly hampered mobility at not being able to use the full length of his tail. After about 3 weeks, he finally passed on. I'm not sure if that was due to malnutrition (not being able to get to the flakes before everyone else ate them all) or if it was something related to the curvature of his back. Does anyone have any ideas of what caused his back to arch like that? Do fish get scoliosis?:eek1: Or maybe this is something typical to his species? I've had another group of glass cats that lived full and happy lives and have never seen anything like this...

tangdiver
02/12/2006, 10:20 AM
I do not know is fish can, but sandtiger sharks can get this...I have had experence with these animals @ AOA (Aquarium of the Americas and LV or Shark Reef...These animals do not have a lot of bone...fish do...do not know if this helps but thought I would add my 2 cents...also they are doing studies on this...have not had any concrete info yet

creslin2
02/14/2006, 07:27 AM
so maybe my fish wasn't as much a freak of nature as i supposed? that's comforting. Didn't know if this was an isolated incident or relatively common. Somwhere on the rarer side, it appears. :)

snowyangel
02/15/2006, 12:18 AM
Posting a pic next time may help abit more to determine if it was a disease or not. I've seen diseases where the disease itself slowly bends the back of a fish or creates a hump. You never with all the fish farms out there today, there is a lot of mass breeding and im sure inbreeding occurs often so deformities happen. I've had cories with bent tails before and seen other fish with weird deformities but they still can lead a healthy life.

creslin2
02/15/2006, 06:59 AM
That's probably true. Unfortunately, he developed this about a month before he died, and didn't pass on until just before I joined this forum, so....:twitch: