PDA

View Full Version : Installing a U.V. Sterilizer ?

charles6299
02/11/2006, 10:26 PM
does anyone put their uv sterilizer in line and if you do, does it slow down the flow rate ?
does anybody have it coming from the sump and pouring back into the sump ?
is it better to treat the water and put it straight back into the display tank or run it through the sump and back into the display tank ?

STACKER
02/12/2006, 10:46 AM
Don't use one, never did or will. Sorry I can't help...

From what I've heard low flow is best for contact time. But I have no suggestions regarding placement.

coralfarmer84
02/12/2006, 03:47 PM
i have a U.V running on my return line. Yes it does slow down the return flow. I had to install it whenever my tank turned completely green from a phyto outbreak, since then the water has been very clear and my fish haven't once been sick until this weekend. Its been a war with these idols, but besides that i def recommend one. As for should it be in the return or sump to sump, I think thats just a personal preference, if its in the return your at least guaranteed that everydrop of water passing threw the sump is nuked. Like I said before, your more than welcome to come take a look at my display, i live in campbell.

charles6299
02/12/2006, 05:28 PM
THANKS...I MIGHT TAKE YOU UP ON THAT.....sTACKER...WHY DON'T YOU USE ONE ? I HAVE HEARD NOTHING BUT GREAT THINGS ABOUT THEM....

coralfarmer84
02/12/2006, 06:47 PM
some people don't run them because they believe it also kills a lot of benificial organisms in the tank, anything that passes threw that will be killed, including pods and the "good" bacteria. But I tend to think its worth it and my tank is full of pods. Other people are just cheap :lol:

charles6299
02/12/2006, 08:22 PM
NOW YOU GOT ME WORRIED........i'm running a 5 1/2 gallon refugium w/ a DSB.....30 gal. sump and @ 150 lbs. of live rock...wouldn't the skimmer rip apart the good bacteria floating around also ? wouldn't the refugium be the safe haven for the pods and such ?

STACKER
02/13/2006, 07:40 AM
Some folks buy gadgets, some don't. I've installed a couple units over the years for customers with fish only tanks but none made a difference that regular maint. didn't match. Maybe some people are just lazy.

hookedonfish
02/13/2006, 12:24 PM
I installed one when I fist set up my tank, can't say If it works or not but I have never had any fish problems. Water flow through them is critical, to much flow and I'ts basically doing nothing. I run mine on one of my return lines. Hey Coralfarmer, is Stacker calling us lazy?

STACKER
02/13/2006, 02:44 PM
You don't have time to be lazy Paul.... :)

doody
02/17/2006, 09:22 PM
If you decide to use one, I have one laying around I could sell/trade cheap. Drop me a PM if you (or anyone else) wants it.