PDA

View Full Version : 7 ft Oceanic setup w/ livestock in 609 area code

kennerd
04/07/2002, 11:05 AM
Hey, folks. Don't know if anyone is looking for a full setup this large, but this fellow is looking to get rid of a 7ft Oceanic setup with livestock.

http://www.aquaboards.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?db=Aquariums&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=178&query=retrieval

Rovert
04/07/2002, 08:22 PM
Heh... I wonder what he considers to be a 'reasonable' offer?

BORECKI
04/09/2002, 12:03 AM
The word '7 feet' caught my interest so I called and the lady said she measured the tank and found out it was 6 feet:rolleyes: . I ask her what the deal is and she says that they are moving to Florida and won't take the tank. She also said thatshe wants to place the tank in the garage to clear out the house for selling and that the LFS that does maintenence will come in and take apart the tank, remove the livestock and CHARGE her $175.00 for that.
SO:
I tell her, "let me take your corals & fish and I'll pay you instead of you paying the guy to clean you out".
She says , OK.
I get there Sunday afternoon and, :( :rolleyes: :confused: :mad: what a let down.
The 'corals' are BASE ROCK! Fish are three juvenil blue devil damsels and two tomato clowns.
The damm tank is on bioballs. And the skimmer is; spotlessly clean, DRY and turned off, and has COBWEBS in the collection cup!:eek2: From what I could tell the nitrates must be through the roof,And no top off sistim in sight.
Upon further questioning I found out that the husband got the tank and showed interest for (per the wife) two weeks and then got bored. The maintenence man would come in first every two weeks, then once a month, then every two months and has not shown up for four months! The NO lights have been off from the begining because of slime algae.
I offered to buy the flourecent tubes only, not the oceanic fixtures. But the husband, over the fone from Florida, want to do a package deal only.
I went there for the livestock and left P1$$ed off.

Side note; Also for sale one motercycle, one foot long koy & tank, two telescopes, and onr macaw starting to speak.
:eek: Boris.
P.S. they want too much for the tank, If the price comes down I might buy.

Rovert
04/09/2002, 07:58 AM
Boris, I got an Email from him last night, because I might be interested in the tank, too. It sounds like a 180, but did it have internal overflows? He claims he paid about $5000 for everything. What price did he quote you on the whole thing?

I understand his point about wanting to sell everything at once. It's a PITA to sell stuff piecemeal.

kennerd
04/09/2002, 09:45 AM
I found the dream classified ad a few months back:

Fully stocked 180 gal show tank, all equipment, livestock...only pay the price to break it down.

The ad ran for one day.

I called.

Whoever answered the phone must have been getting FLOODED with phone calls, since she answered the phone "The damn tank is already gone!", hung up & I got a busy signal for the next few days. Couldn't even get info from her.

BORECKI
04/09/2002, 10:08 PM
It's an 130 gallon, 18 inches front to back.
He wants a thousand bucks, I offered 500 for the thing.
His wife told me ther got the thing from a pet place in south jersey or Philly. I don't remember the name but I belive it's the place that caters to newbies.
Anyway she told me that they were charged about $2000.00 for the glass box alone PLUS $500.00 delivery fee:crazy1: , $800.00 for the sump, $700.00 for the stand and on and on and on.
I checked with my LFS (hanover pets) for retail prices and was quoted $635.00 for the tank and $415.00 for the sump (bio ball drip plate + built in skimmer piece of $#1T acrylic type).
Basicly the LFS down there saw an easy mark and took him to the cleaners.

If it was a 24 or 36 inch front to back I'd pay the asking price but at 18 inches I know the linitations on the aquascaping.
Boris.