PDA

View Full Version : help with my skimmer

MOX
02/09/2006, 05:57 PM
hi guys quick ? i have an in sump skimmer not shure what brand it is but when it functions it works great.

ok the skimmer will just stop sucking air ok simple right, needs a good cleaning well i pulled it all apart what i can get apart and with hot water and hose cleaners scrubed her down good.
still stoped sucking air all i need to do to unplug it is blow hard on the air line and it pops something out and works fine for a day or so the pump itself is working fine its just the airline geting blocked up some how

my next course of action is to replace the air line if that dosent work i was going to try to hook up a small air pump to keep air forced through it but i am not shure if the skimmer will work properly if i do this

when i took the skimmer apart i noticed were the air is being pulled into the chamber its just a small hole do u think that if i drilled it out and made it just a slight bit larger that it would effect the funtionality

any suggestions would be great:confused:

zooqi
02/09/2006, 11:21 PM
It should not effect it but it seems you have some dirt inside venturi or airline. The only reason you are making the hole bigger is to get more air in there. You want to make sure you don't drill it too big or far that it will effect it.

nate4546
02/10/2006, 06:18 AM
Try running hot water through the airline

MOX
02/10/2006, 12:11 PM
ok well guys i ran some hot water through it as well as replaced the air line well see how that gose after work

zooqi
02/10/2006, 07:20 PM
How is doing so far. I might have something to fix it for you or you can bring it and Fred (you have not met and he is not in RC) can fix it for you. He built one of a kind skimmer this week.

MOX
02/11/2006, 09:53 AM
so far so good it runing like a champ knock on wood.

zooqi
02/11/2006, 09:57 AM
good to hear that.. Are you going to make it to the meeting tomorrow ?

MOX
02/15/2006, 10:56 PM
skimmers running fine all is well thanx for the help amazzing what a lil new tubing and a cup od boiling water will do

Reef_Dweller_69
02/16/2006, 09:38 AM
Humm what did you do with the boiling water, run it through the skimmer or soak/wash the parts in it, or did you just boil the parts?

MOX
02/17/2006, 10:46 PM
just dunked the air line into it and let it suck the water up.

Reef_Dweller_69
02/17/2006, 10:52 PM
DId you use saltwater or fresh water? I was thinking of running distiled viniger through mine As well as my other PH and Pumps

MOX
02/18/2006, 09:02 PM
i am on a well so i just used it but if i thought it would be a problem i would run ro/di water through it since i just left it running on the tank.

a friend of mine gave me a power head that he had that stoped runing due to salt building up on it i just soaked it in hot water with a bit of viniger stuff work great u can even use full strenght if ya want wont hurt just stink rinse well before adding back in to tank of course.