PDA

View Full Version : Dissecting seahorses project..

zooqi
02/08/2006, 01:38 AM
I got some sea horses to rescue them from LFS and few of them that had diseses were dead by the time they got to my house. I had to do some work on them to find out the following
-what is the disease that got to the system
-were the males pregnant since the brooding pouch is so big
-were the ears infected by the disease that caused them not to swim much
-was the diseased area similar to the color pattern of the seahorses ..
found few answers and still working on few others but here are some pictures that FRD took..
http://www.reefnest.com/general/41.jpg

zooqi
02/08/2006, 01:39 AM
A friend borrowed some of my dissecting tools so I had to use this sharp razor.
http://www.reefnest.com/general/42.jpg

zooqi
02/08/2006, 01:40 AM
http://www.reefnest.com/general/43.jpg

zooqi
02/08/2006, 01:42 AM
Now you guys wonder what I do to the dead sea horses.. I let them dry on top of my heater for 24 hours. I put them in a frame with info about seahorses and pass them to schools. Will update you guys with pictures of (REEFNEST SEAHORSES FRAME ).

MOX
02/08/2006, 02:16 AM
each time i log on here u cease to amaze me
i know that when i was in school i did great in every subject that involved hands on work and things like your doing for the younger generations might make more of an impact than any one could know
congrats and keep it up

ps were they pregnant

zooqi
02/08/2006, 08:28 AM
No, they were not and I learned how inside the pouch looks and how it feels. The skin is not as soft as it looks but inside is really clear, white, and tough too. I'll work on the drawing of them as I'm getting few of them. I just need my dissecting tools back.

zooqi
02/15/2006, 02:56 AM
It looks like this disease is spread to other seahorses and finally figured out how to cure it and stop it from spreading. Will update with more info after I get some results back.

Reef_Dweller_69
02/15/2006, 09:50 AM
MO, very good work. Keep it up Bro, there are many people young and old learning from your work. You will gain much with all the work your doing be it now are later.

zooqi
02/15/2006, 04:32 PM
thanks RD69, I'm learning from everybody else too. Once a while I get people ask questions and I try to show them a way to save money, fish life, corals and household damage (doing this for living thought me alot of things) and i don't mind sharing but sometimes some ask and either follow my way or follow somebody else's because if something goes wrong then you know who to blame. You can't bring everybody's ideas and put them all in one system. I try to avoide that conflict if I see too may hands on my systems. Here is a good example and is one of the hundred that I have:
I setup a system once and basically connected the sump to the tank and left everything else sitting and not connected as they were not going to run for a while (fuge, top off, chiller,, etc) told them to leave everything the way it is and will wait for the rocks to cycle first and then I can connect the rest of the stuff. I left to Florida for a week and when I came back everything is been plumbed and way too far the way I wanted it but I told them I'm not responsible for anything since somebody else did that. One of the pipes was not glued right over the weekend and made the sump not functional and most of the fish and corals died.. Nice guy like me I told them I will give them stuff for free to replace that (thought this will be a lesson to stay out of it). Went once and they have three extra heaters added on top of the 500 W titanium so I asked why ," just in case one did not work " , the tempreture prob came out once and brough the temp to 110 and killed everything. We learn from each other and I learned most of the stuff from others too.

Reef_Dweller_69
02/15/2006, 06:14 PM
Wow, I clearly understand where you are comming from. It was the same way when I was doing electrical work (6.5 yrs until operation). I would tell them how to do something or to do or that and they would turn around a change or do something different because someone else said different to me and then they would call me back to fix it. I know there are a lot of ways to do things but sometimes you just have to stick with one way. To many changes just messes things up, and in the reef hobby it can cost you lots of lif, money, and time. Which I don't have a lot of either of the 3. You and the other guy's here on ReefNest and RC have taught me a lot, and know I will learn much more as time goes on.

MOX
02/15/2006, 10:50 PM
geez and i thought that was just karma lol i guessit happens to us all live n learn

and try not to get mad about the small stuff and its all small stuff
i have been telling myself that for almost a year now and i have done alot better hehe

Reef_Dweller_69
02/16/2006, 09:39 AM
For sure Mox never sweat the stuff you can't control, just the stuff you have to power to change, :D