PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate Reducer using plas. tubbing

charles6299
02/07/2006, 09:03 PM
any one here ever heard of using 100 plus feet of black plastic tubing creating a siphon from the display tank into the sump ? from what i hear, it suppose to help redude nitrate's ? the bacteria becomes anarobic ? does any one use this on their tanks and does it work? what about using a canister filter filled up w/ bio balls in a closed system void of oxygen...wouldn't this also help out w/ nitrates ?

jerrym21
02/07/2006, 09:17 PM
I've never heard of the plastic tube thing before but I can say that I doubt if it would help anything. I don't see how it could.

tgfrench
02/07/2006, 09:25 PM
check out a coil-denitrator

charles6299
02/07/2006, 09:30 PM
from the way i understand it, the long slow siphon coiling around is void of oxygen and nothing can survive ........whats the coil-denitrator ?

jerrym21
02/07/2006, 09:32 PM
How does that actually work? I've heard of them but I don't know much about them. Also, how effective is it compared to 100 foot of black tube.

STACKER
02/08/2006, 06:39 AM
100 ft. of black plastic tube is a DIY denitrator.

Oxygen is dissolved in the water so zero O2 doesn't happen. Anerobic bacteria does just fine in the presence of O2, just does better in lower levels. The coil denitrator simply provides alot of surface area for bacteria to grow. Water is denitrified as it passes thru. If you have a functioning sandbed and moderate amount of mature LR a denitrator is as usefull a "you know what" on a boar hog. Of course this is my opinion and most of us know that noone evel listens to me until after they screw-up.

IMHO if you have nitrate problem thay are best dealt with by water changes, improves husbandry, and much lower bio load. Fighting mother nature is always a losing battle, it's best to work with her.