PDA

View Full Version : AL or STEEL tanks?

Ben
04/05/2002, 10:51 PM
I was looking to purchase some tanks and need some advice on which would be better, steel or aluminum.

The Sherwood ALUMINUM COMPACT NEUTRAL 80 TANK is always neg bouyent as are steel tanks. This tank runs 130$ while an equal steel runs almost double that, whats the advantage of steel?

Mad Scientist
04/06/2002, 11:38 PM
I have never heard of that tank, what are it's dimesion compare dto steel 80 and is it high pressure(3,500psi) or low pressure.

I dive with hp steels, they are much smaller than aluminum tanks of the same time and remain neg/netural throughout the dive. On the down side, if you are mixing your own gas or live in a place where high end compressors are not available, hp tanks are not a good option.

Are the Sherwood tanks postitive when empty? Sounds like a cool tank and that is really good price, I paid $400 for my 120hp and $325 for my 82hp (O2 cleaned).

Ben
04/07/2002, 12:08 AM
I found the tank at www.diversdiscount.com

If I am right Al tanks only come in LP. Steel tanks come in LP and HP but the HP tanks require a DIN reg first stage, I use a yoke so this isnt an option.

P.S> any of you go to www.scubaboard.com how do you like it?

Mad Scientist
04/07/2002, 10:52 AM
Yup, all hp are DIN. I go to www.scubaboard.com alot, it's great site and everyone is very helpful. They really gome started ont the conept of DIR diving.

scubadude
04/07/2002, 09:30 PM
I would love to have a couple of steel 120's but the weight is atrocious! for hardcore divers they use them to increase their O2 as well as not haveing so much bother w/ excessive weights! Im a short dude and I use super 80's (aluminum) as they fit my profile much better :)