PDA

View Full Version : goodbye to eggs!

Rudiger
04/05/2002, 10:24 PM
Cephalopoder just came by and took the octo eggs. Now he has two hours to drive home :D Chris, now that you have the eggs you have to keep me posted on how they are developing. Do they look good to you?

pat

cephalopoder
04/06/2002, 09:45 PM
The eggs look great. I spent the day building a isolation chamber to hatch the brood in. I used your sump design pat and plumbed it to my main tank. I thought this would be best to avoid any amphipods possibly eating the eggs and momma is not here to protect them. I slowly boosted the salinity up to 1.025 and the temp up to 78.
I put a mesh filter bag over the bulk head screen so the hatchlings wouldn't get sucked into the main tank if I wasn't around when they hatched.
I will transfer them to the rearing tank when they hatch.
Lets keep our fingers crossed.
chris

cephalopoder
04/20/2002, 10:28 PM
Well the eggs are starting to look real good. You can see the hatchlings in the eggs sacks getting some color.I am almost finished with my main rearing tank.
I will have 18 705ml chambers with seperate flow going through each one and no cross contamination. I will put a piece of ceramic filtration media in the bottom for them to hide in. The chambers will be completely submerged. I will also try batch rearing a few as well. The chambers have fine nylon mesh on top and bottom for water flow through. :smokin:

OctoMonkey
04/21/2002, 08:13 AM
Hi chris,
have they flipped over yet? What sort of time scale do you think you are working with for actual hatching?

Got myself a teaching job to see me to the end of June. Science based lectures for a wide variety of agegroups, hehe better not just prattle on about cephs eh? lol

Colin

cephalopoder
04/21/2002, 10:20 AM
Way cool Colin teaching!
No the eggs have not fliped yet so I think I shoul still have a couple of weeks to go . I hope lol. I will need to go pod huntingh to back up what I allready have as well. I let you know my progress as it developos.
chris

Rudiger
04/21/2002, 11:27 AM
im glad to hear the eggs are still developing nicely. Its a good thing that I gave the eggs to you because I would never have been able to construct a good rearing setup like you are describing. I hope things continue to run smoothly. Good luck on finding pods.

pat