PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Tank Picture Contest at Mini Critters

Travis
02/06/2006, 12:48 AM
Hey everyone. I was at Mini Critters today and I see they are having a monthly tank picture contest. All you need to do is take a picture of your tank and bring it in. The picture can be anything from a full tank shot to a shot of a portion of your tank to a shot of an individual piece of livestock. Starts at the beginning of each month and ends on the last day of each month. There were only 2 submissions in January so your odds of winning should be pretty high. Winners get $50 credit. If you win, you cannot resubmit another picture for 3 months. So come on everyone, show off what you've got and earn some free credit.:)

BTW, Chris I saw your flyer you put up at the store. I like it a lot. Nice job.:smokin:

kau_cinta_ku
02/06/2006, 08:28 AM
well just let me know what monthes Travis and Eric are entering so i will also still have a chance:lol:

snowyangel
02/06/2006, 02:43 PM
Is the contest for FW and SW?

Reistroffer
02/06/2006, 05:03 PM
Its for saltwater

tangdiver
02/06/2006, 09:49 PM
What about mine, if u can see into with all the bubbles on the front...hahaha Grant

Travis
02/07/2006, 12:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6679034#post6679034 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snowyangel
Is the contest for FW and SW?

Don't quote me on it but I'm pretty sure it is for both. There was nothing that stated SW only and Mark never said anything about it being SW only.

Reistroffer
02/07/2006, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I do think its saltwater and fresh, but seriously fresh water tanks dont compare to saltwater... nothing against FW..but they're not half as colorful...etc... but i posted a picture of my tank... so far im the only one!

Dakafall
02/07/2006, 01:12 AM
y'all HAD to point this out lol, i was gonna wait till the end and see the rest of the pics, but now that everyone knows, there's no chance in hell my 2.5g pico stands a chance lol
good luck :D

Reistroffer
02/07/2006, 09:16 AM
now, what you could do to over come the fact that its FW is have me come over with my digi cam and take some cool artistic shots of your tank/fish... and that could win you some cash money! :)

Lunchbucket
02/07/2006, 10:21 AM
From an outside stand point, I would suggest you hold your negative comments to yourself, they are valid points and I do agree, but there is no reason to put down someone’s tank because they either run it differently than you or use a different method. As a leader in this group our younger members are going to be looking at you as a roll model and in such a position I would suggest you convey yourself as one.

Chris - remember that reply that you gave me yesterday or so. well i feel that it is relavant here. our club DOES not and WILL not discriminate against FW or SW and we as club memebers, ,"leaders", or "roll models" will NOT tolerate it.

FW tanks are just as if not more beautiful. i have seen some FW planted tanks that would knock the socks off of your tank or many if not all of our tanks in anyday. just because they are not SW doesn't mean that they won't win. so should i say that just because you tank isn't SPS it won't win? NO. just because i like SPS doesn't mean that LPS and softies and FW aren't beautiful. remember you "different methods or different then you" part in yoru speach to me

if we want our SFAS group to flourish we need to stifle this attitude seriously fresh water tanks dont compare to saltwater. this will limit our group and cause SFAS to fail. snowyangel is a great asset to our group and you could have just turned her away w/ one comment! i hope that hasn't happend!

snowyangel - please know that that all of us at SFAS do NOT feel as Chris does. please continue ot be part of our group and give us your expereince and insight into FW tanks. this goes for anyone in SW or FW for that matter. we can all learn from someone or something.

sorry but i feel something had to be said ASAP...and i'm sure i'm NOT alone

later
Lunchbucket

snowyangel
02/07/2006, 10:33 AM
Not a problem LB. People can say all they want about FW, doesn't change my opinion of it at all. Once i get my live plants growing where i them to, I'll sumbit a tank photo to Mini Critters in the future.
I still think you're a nice group of people, no worries.

Travis
02/07/2006, 11:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6683734#post6683734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reistroffer
Yeah, I do think its saltwater and fresh

If you knew that, then why post this?

Its for saltwater

but seriously fresh water tanks dont compare to saltwater... nothing against FW..but they're not half as colorful

This is exactly the type of attitude that will lead to the downfall of a reefclub. Nobody wants to come to a club where people are displaying an "elitist" attitude with comments such as "My tank is better than yours because mine is SW and yours is FW", or "My tank is bigger than yours so it is better", etc. These are both comments that I know have been made from a member in the club towards other members. If we want the club to prosper, then we need to act like adults. Everybody's tank is a piece of art. It doesn't matter if it is FW, SW, reef, FOWLR, planted, etc. Each tank takes a lot of time and money to run. Each tank owner should feel proud of the ecosystem that they have been able to create inside of a glass box. I've seen a lot of FW tanks that look a lot better than some SW tanks too. We should be holding everyone's tank in this club at the same level. Nobody's tank is any better than anyone else's. We are all dedicated hobbyists with a passion for what we are doing. That passion shows through our tanks. Each tank is different than the next and they are are equally beautiful because they are a representation of the owner's passion for their tank.

now, what you could do to over come the fact that its FW is have me come over with my digi cam and take some cool artistic shots of your tank/fish

I'm guessing this comment was made with the intention of humor and good jest but we need to be careful because it can just as easily be taken the wrong way. All it would take is one comment like this to drive off a potential member that is an asset to our club.

I'm sorry I had to jump in and say these things but I feel it was a necessary time to do it. I just want the best for our club. I want anyone to be able to come to our meetings or participate in this forum and feel welcome to do so.:)

Dakafall
02/07/2006, 11:58 PM
I'm 2 lazy to go back and do the quote thing, but I keep both, and I'm gonna admit, that SW is nicer that most FW, the keyword there is MOST!

you've got to look at some of Takashi Amano's tank, he's like, a planted tank god :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://mongabay.com/fish/images/bigtank.jpg
1800g :D

tangdiver
02/08/2006, 12:44 PM
Where did you get this photo...it is great...I want to climb in...

Travis
02/08/2006, 02:34 PM
Here are some more crazy-awesome FW planted tanks:
http://zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5075

Reistroffer
02/08/2006, 06:31 PM
Those tanks are insain, what i wouldn't do to have a tank like those, i've never in my life seen tanks like that.

~Chris

I want a potted tank now...holy cow!...

Can someone do a nano like that?

creslin2
02/08/2006, 09:27 PM
wow, what a plant tank. That's exactly the sort of tank I have in my dreams! If only I could swallow the cost of such a monster....and maybe hire a tribe of people to do the water changes....:D

I saw the post for the pic contest at MC, and if i ever get my gold snails to grow again, I'll be sure to get a pic and enter. I'm sure they were apple snails, but had a beautiful golden colored shell that was nearly see-through, not the thick scaly kind that you see on most large snails. Well, for now, they've both up and died, and I'm looking at regrowing some more. I've never seen such an amazing creature in freshwater, and few in salt (that I have seen) compared. Not to say that there aren't some damn cool critters in salt too. ;)

(PS- if anyone has any ideas or suggestions about freshwater snails, I'd love to hear it. I had two monsters that lived for nine months each [approx] and they slowed down, and finally just died. I had heard about trying to hibernate them, but that failed horribly. I'm still looking for a way to get them to live longer. Or maybe that IS their lifespan.)

Dakafall
02/08/2006, 11:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6695378#post6695378 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Travis
Here are some more crazy-awesome FW planted tanks:
http://zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5075

A lot of those are from this years AGA or previous AGA contests

2005 (http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2005.cgi)
2004 (http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2004.cgi)
2003 (http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2003.cgi)
2002 (http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2002.cgi)
2001 (http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2001.cgi)
2000 (http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2000.cgi)

Dakafall
02/10/2006, 01:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6694526#post6694526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tangdiver
Where did you get this photo...it is great...I want to climb in...

You should probably wait a while before goin' around and climbing in anymore tanks :p :p :p

tangdiver
02/10/2006, 10:42 AM
yep, still recovering...penguins @ 32 degrees was not this bad...I had a thick wet suit & only 30-45 mins...