PDA

View Full Version : corals in 40g tank

scissorsfishors
02/04/2006, 06:16 PM
I got my tank cycled last week and then had to go on a trip for work for a week. Just moved some corals over to the new tank this morning. I can't believe what a difference it makes! Some of them are still a little unhappy about the move but most of them look really good. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

FRD- I am still having a problem with my Standpipe. I can't get a good balance on the water level and the drain to the sump. Another problem has been the noise factor- I am pretty sure that my roommate hates me! She doesn't understand why my 12g is so quiet and this tank is making noise constantly. :) I tell her I can't hear anything in my room! haha.

I'll keep working on ideas for the drain but I can't move the fish over to the new tank without the bulk head strainer on or Bully (clown fish) will find himself in the sump...

fishesRdelicious
02/04/2006, 09:41 PM
give me a call and i can try to talk you through it, take a side pic of the pipe and bulkhead and see if mo can help you, i dont have to much experience with standpipes but he does

scissorsfishors
02/05/2006, 10:07 AM
OK I'll take a picture today. I was thinking of restricting the water going into the pump? Since the strainer brings the drain down to about 3/4'' then if I restrict the pump input to the same do you think that it would work then? Another trip to Lowes!

Let me know what you think.

scissorsfishors
02/05/2006, 11:05 AM
Stand Pipe Drain:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/scissorsfishors/DSCN1531.jpg

scissorsfishors
02/05/2006, 11:09 AM
Here is a picture of the tank. The toadstool is starting to look better. It got a little stressed out on the journey here. Everything else is open and looking pretty good. I haven't moved the corals from my 12g tank yet.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/scissorsfishors/DSCN1527.jpg

fishesRdelicious
02/05/2006, 11:13 AM
did you try that "t" i think that might work
tank looks good, corals should start looking better.
remind me to start looking for new lights for you

zooqi
02/05/2006, 11:45 AM
the pipe that is in the tank for drain will be quiet if you can add two 90's to it . Put to 90s together making shape U and the mount it to the inside pipe. Hope there is enough room for that in your tank.

The tank looks really good for the time is been setup.. great job gang.

Reef_Dweller_69
02/05/2006, 04:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6670726#post6670726 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scissorsfishors
Stand Pipe Drain:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/scissorsfishors/DSCN1531.jpg

What kind of hose is that you are using?

Reef_Dweller_69
02/05/2006, 04:55 PM
By the way tank looks absolutly marvelous my friend.... marvelous.

fishesRdelicious
02/05/2006, 07:15 PM
that tubing is 1'' flexible non kink tubing. they have it at most lfs
mo wont the 2 90s make a siphon if the power goes out and overflow the sump, or would you put an anti siphon kill. i was thinking of putting a "t" on it instead

zooqi
02/05/2006, 07:16 PM
How about we build a simi aquarium like that and play with it and make a DIY.

fishesRdelicious
02/05/2006, 07:20 PM
sounds good

zooqi
02/05/2006, 07:36 PM
I need one more day to clean the basement and there should be enough room for alot of projects.

scissorsfishors
02/06/2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys. I am loving the tank. the toadstool is starting to look better now. I have still not moved the corals from my 12g over. I think it will look really good when I do.

FRD picked out all the tubing so he would know best. Don't take him to Lowes unless you want to spend at least a $100!!

So I am going to Lowes now to get another 90 or two. I may be confused about what to do though. there is a 90 coming out of the glass, so I should just put another 90 on that to make a U or then another 90 to make a circle?
well FRD expect a phone call in about an hour if I can't figure it out!

Thanks for the help Mo.

fishesRdelicious
02/06/2006, 07:57 PM
call the cell, cause i am leaving soon

zooqi
02/06/2006, 10:24 PM
thanks and good to see you and FRD put a nice tang together :)

fishesRdelicious
02/06/2006, 11:03 PM
yeah thanks, she will be getting a 4 vho setup for her lights shortly. that should really make the corals grow.

Reef_Dweller_69
02/07/2006, 01:55 AM
MO, see how scissorsfishors has his drain? If my overflow box doesn't work out can I just leave my durso setup except have the top so it will only drian tank to the level I want my water line? Basicly a durso pipe in the tank without an overflow box.

scissorsfishors
02/07/2006, 07:34 AM
OK well after about 2 1/2 hours last night, I still don't have the drain set up right. It doesn't seem to be a problem of noise now.. When I put the bulk head strainer on the drain, it cuts down on the amount of water that goes down. However the pump is still putting it out at the same level - so the water gets to close to the top and I have to turn off the pump and try something else.

Aaron - I took all the corals out of my 12g last night and moved them over. Most of them looked fine. I still have a couple pieces of live rock, sand and the fishes in the 12g though. Do you think no lights for a couple days will do a lot of damage?

I took the light from the refugium and put that over the tank so the fish would eat.

Any ideas for my drain are helpful! Thanks everybody.

fishesRdelicious
02/07/2006, 03:20 PM
ok, heres what you can do put that valve on the pump so it matchs the drain flow of the bulkhead. so you will just be cutting the flow so it works.
give me a call tonight and i will tell you what pieces you need
and dont me any attitude about another trip to Lowes, it isnt that far from you
once you get all this fixed then you can put the rest of the corals in the tank and then the fish
you can then do a 10gal waterchange with all the water in the 12gal

Reef_Dweller_69
02/07/2006, 03:38 PM
MO or anyone else, see how scissorsfishors has his drain? If my overflow box doesn't work out can I just leave my durso setup except have the top so it will only drian tank to the level I want my water line? Basicly a durso pipe in the tank without an overflow box. [/QUOTE]

zooqi
02/07/2006, 05:15 PM
I guess she figured out how to get ride of the noise if not we need to have a meeting for her (scissorsfishors) How about easier name to spell. I already have hard time spelling my last name :)

how about fishesRdelicious =FRD
scissorsfishors = SFS :)

RD69 : yes you can do that and I thought you were doing that inside the overflow. If you don't have it like that and you made the overflow in the tank... Watch out for any leaks to the overflow or you will have water on the flood.

Reef_Dweller_69
02/07/2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks MO. I did do the overflow, but wanted to know if that was an option incase the overflow didn't work due to my inexperience working with the solvent cement. I put it together already and now to test it out except I think there is a problem. Humm maybe I should start a new thread for this one.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=771156

fishesRdelicious
02/07/2006, 07:00 PM
how about we just give everyone a number, i ll be # 1

scissorsfishors
02/07/2006, 07:15 PM
wow, you are either really smart (FRD) or have a lot of problems (SFS) to get an abbreviation from Mo!! And if we are going to go to numbers then I want to be #2. Get it? from austin powers? :) haha.

ok well I'll give you a call little brother but I expect success this time!! The people at lowes are starting to think I have issues. I come straight in and go for the PVC aisle!

fishesRdelicious
02/07/2006, 07:19 PM
carolyn, i ve been to Lowes more times than you can shake a stick at
i am on a completely other level than you when it comes to going to the PVC aisle
if your so smart what does it stand for?:)

scissorsfishors
02/07/2006, 07:24 PM
ewe a quiz!!!

Polyvinyl chloride pipe - a common plastic pipe used for cold water distribution in both pressure (closed) or vented (DWV) applications. It is a material that melts quickly when exposed to heat.

ok, ok so I cheated..

fishesRdelicious
02/07/2006, 07:28 PM
i am extreemly disappointed in you :(

zooqi
02/07/2006, 07:58 PM
for a second I thought she was smart :) I never knew that it stood for and even knowing all those word it will be PVC to me since they don't make sense. I know lowe's don't have all the fitting that are in the market. FRD (sorry I mean #1)... do you know where light company is in Williamsport. There is a company that faces it and you should go and check it out. They have some fittings you can't find at Lowe's. There is another company in the same area few feet away that has more stuff too and if you want a special piece they can get it for you in few days.

zooqi
02/07/2006, 08:00 PM
Ok,, one more things..
brothers and sisters stop fighting or I'm calling 1800 Mr Dahl

shimmy_yaz
02/07/2006, 09:52 PM
Don't start with the PVC trivia. I make a PVC based plastic for a living. LOL

zooqi
02/07/2006, 09:55 PM
we got all kinds of PVC experts here then. From start all the way to the aquarium :)

scissorsfishors
02/07/2006, 11:22 PM
You mean to tell me that there is a perfectly good PVC supplier right over the bridge?!? How many hundreds of miles do you think you've gone going to Lowes all those times. haha.

No one but Aaron - and the occassional PVC professional (shimmy_yaz :) ) would know what PVC stands for!

scissorsfishors
02/07/2006, 11:28 PM
So the solution to my problem:
I am just using a 90 out of the glass to another 90 and then to the bulk head strainer for my drain. It's a bit loud right now so I might adjust this a bit. But my pump to drain ratio is now perfect. I got a 3/4'' ball valve (at Lowes :) ) and a 3/4'' to 1/2'' male threaded. One side is going into the top of the pump and the other is connecting to the 3/4'' tubing. I turned the valve a little bit to restrict the flow and it is working well.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll post updated pictures tomorrow with all the corals.

fishesRdelicious
02/07/2006, 11:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6689685#post6689685 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zooqi
Ok,, one more things..
brothers and sisters stop fighting or I'm calling 1800 Mr Dahl
she started it!!
btw, i dont think that 1800 number will do any good, because they go to bed at 9:30, there old

zooqi
02/08/2006, 01:46 AM
sfs (#2) :) FRD and I are going to build something semilar to your drain pipe and will update you this week about how to make it quiet.

I make sure I call tomorrow and tell them you said they are old too.