PDA

View Full Version : Blue Carpet Anenome

Charles Oesterly
04/04/2002, 06:59 PM
I was vsiting Living Seas in Pittsford today and found an incredible blue Carpet Anenome. It is worth checking out and if you haven't seen the store it is worth stopping if you are already in Pittsford area.
Anyone have any experience with Anenome Crabs-are they compatible with clowns. Does the Anenome enjoy their company or are they parasites???

Zmann
04/04/2002, 07:13 PM
Its funny you think that place is worth checking out. I think its the biggest waste of space someone calls a reef store that there is. My opinion nothing against yours. They hold their delicate corals under shop lights and they rarely have anything.

Charles Oesterly
04/04/2002, 07:48 PM
Zman:
Please notice I said if you were already in Pittsford, it was worth the stop.
I didn' t notice he used shop lights(VHO bulbs I hope). Once in a while he has a leopard wrasse or something interesting, but he has a long way to go.

BCooksey
04/04/2002, 08:52 PM
His reef system has vho lighting. but the fish and invert units have n.o. Florecent shop lights. I used to go there all the time untill Chris the younger manager quit. The owner doesn't seem to know to much. Rarely has nice stuff. IMO.

saltwaterfishlover
04/04/2002, 09:04 PM
I heard thru the grape vines that he actually wants to shut the place down but his mother who is financing the joint wont let him due to the amout of money she has dumped into it.... he doesnt have a clue about anything

saltwaterfishlover
04/04/2002, 11:08 PM
Charles
From what I have heard may be right may be wrong.
anenome crabs are ok with anenome's and vice versa.... they may not cohabitate peacefully with clowns tho territory thing and probably the anenome will be the one who suffers most. tho if a large enough one they may be tense but ok.
just my 2cent

Gary Majchrzak
04/05/2002, 12:14 AM
Charles- 7 years ago my pair of tomato clowns quickly evicted an anemone crab that the anemone enjoyed having reside in it.Maybe a more peaceful species of anemonefish would tolerate a neighboring crab...? I do know that large 'great'anemones in the wild play host to many symbiont creatures that live in,under,and in close proximity to their 'protective'actiniarian.I wonder if anyone reading this post has an anemone hosting multiple symbionts......? :confused:

Charles Oesterly
04/05/2002, 06:45 AM
I did not know that Cris quit-the owner knows little and seems distracted(unfocused). When I have been in their he seems to be getting Pittsford people interested in the Hobby.

ReeferMac
04/05/2002, 08:03 AM
I wonder if anyone reading this post has an anemone hosting multiple symbionts......?

When I had my large carpet and Sebae (and bulb tip...), I had an anemone crab in with the pair of perc's. They stayed in the Sebae most of the time, which originally was the crab's home. They chased him out of there and into the carpet. They'd go into the carpet from time to time too, and if the crab poked his head out, they would chase him there also. Fortunately it was about 18 Inches across however, and there was enough places for the crab to hide (down near it's foot), that they got along for a little while. Ultimately however the crab disappeared.

- Mac