PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning tips?

innomen/dennis`
04/04/2002, 10:36 AM
My algae growth is at an all time high. I do not think that my magnets are able to clean the glass sufficiently. There are a couple of spots that just will not come off. Asside from just getting in there and scrubbing with some sort of neutral brush with my hands is there any tricks you guys use to keep your tanks clean? Not just for this, but in general? Do you recommend any special magnets?

To further assist me I have a couple of snails that seem to prefer the live rock over the glass. I haven't seen my red hermits in a long time.

stevescg
04/04/2002, 10:50 AM
About once a month I have to scrape the glass with a rozor scraper to remove coralline and tough algea that the magnet cannot remove, glass tanks only.

JoeCaNCeR1
04/04/2002, 12:27 PM
i agree with steve. you can go to a homedepot and get a plastic handle that will hold razor blades. just use this to scrape (glass only) and it will remove everything, even corraline comes off with no problems. just dont get close to the seals of the tank.

jimmyj7090
04/04/2002, 12:45 PM
i agree with the other responses. i'd also add that not all magnets are made the same. the cheaper ones (with colorful pictures) havent worked nearly as well for me as the more expensive ones (phirana type). what algae is giving you trouble? if its not coralline, then try a tougher magnet, if it is coralline, then go with the razor blade. also, if you are using a razor with an all glass aquarium brand tank be sure to use a new one everytime or the blade will get rough and leave small scratches

innomen/dennis`
04/04/2002, 02:38 PM
I didn't know there was more than one type of algae. Good tip on the razor blade. How do some of you guys with the larger tanks deal with the cleaning? Especially when it means getting your entire arm in the tank. Is there any other way? My algae growth is amazingly fast. Probably because i have never kept the tank this warm and this lighted for such long periods, as to when it was a FO tank.

Cleaning seems to be a far greater challenge in a reef environment. :rolleyes: But that's okay.

moe_k
04/04/2002, 03:02 PM
Hey Dennis,

If you have a lot of algae, you may want to watch your nutrient levels. Run tests for nitrites, nitrates, and phosphates.
A green film on the glass that you have to clean every couple of days is normal. More than that and you want to manage the nutrient levels.

What does the algae in question look like? Brown spots? Green film? Red film?

innomen/dennis`
04/05/2002, 10:06 AM
Geen film, that is at the most amazing growth rates. In a couple of hours it was covered on the glass again. I will check the nitrates and nitrites again tomorrow morning. However, if they are high do i just do more water changes? I am still waiting for the tank to cycle so i can get some soft corals.

moe_k
04/05/2002, 12:37 PM
Yeah Dennis,

I'd just do more water changes and wait out the cycle.
Dang nature takes its own time. ;)

efruehauf
04/05/2002, 03:44 PM
Dennis,

What is your source for water changes? I was using a cheap over the counter filter with my tap water and was having the same problem that you describe. The results from all of the tests that I had fell in (or close to) the proper range. It turned out that the filter did not remove phosphates. I bought a jar of Kent's Phosphate Sponge and followed the directions on the jar. I had to continue to clean the glass every few hours for two days but during that time, I noticed that the accumulation was less each time.

I'm not certain that it's phosphates that are to blame, but just a thought (and possible solution).

Good luck!

-Erwin

innomen/dennis`
04/05/2002, 04:14 PM
Bottled distilled water from the grocery store. Perhaps this is part of the cycle that i was not expecting? I have heard about some sort of a "bloom", is that anything like what i am experiencing? If it is only temporary, no big deal, if it is a sign of greater problems then perhaps i need to do something, although i have no idea what.

moe_k
04/05/2002, 05:12 PM
Dennis,

You might want to run nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate tests on your store's water so you know what you're getting.
All three should read zero - or undetectable.

innomen/dennis`
04/07/2002, 12:57 PM
Is there a phosphate test that i should be doing along with the others? I had been getting the distilled water that was the least expensive, thinking it was the same thing. Should i be using poland springs? I just bought 8 gallons of poland springs to see if that helps.

By the way i went to fintastic yesterday and was disappointed with their approach. I had been there before and was very pleased this time, i think the owner, tried to sell me a fish to eat my algae, one that was about 5" long, this after i had told him my tank was only 29G. He also tried to sell me other stuff that i do not think i needed. I truly appreciate a sales person who tells me what i do not need, versus those who sell me what i do not need.

efruehauf
04/07/2002, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure that either distilled or spring water are the way to go. ...any other opinions?

Den,

I get my RO water from a self serve vending stand on Rt. 28 (two minutes from RT 128). It's only 25-cents per gallon (you supply the container). I'm not sure which part of Lynnfield you are in, but it may be worth your time to pick up several 5 gallon jugs and get it from there.

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I used to use tap water. Since switching to this source, and using the phosphate sponge for two days, the growth that I was getting on my glass has pretty much disappeared. I only clean the glass off once or twice a week and even then, it's no where close to as bad as it was.

Let me know if you are interested and I can try to get you a more precise address.

Regards,

-Erwin

moe_k
04/07/2002, 03:41 PM
Dennis,

SeaTest makes a good reefer's kit that has three tests in it.
Phosphate, Low Range Nitrate, and Calcium.
You're gonna need these tests down the road. You may wanna mail order them.

richr
04/07/2002, 09:47 PM
Here is a source of stainless steel single edge razor blades:
Small Parts, Inc. (http://www.engineeringfindings.com/cat22/cat22pg382.pdf)

By the way, they have a catalogue full of interesting stuff.

richr

innomen/dennis`
04/08/2002, 09:16 AM
Thanks all that was very helpful. Erwin, i live in lexington, but 28 still isn't that far, i have been going to plainville for crying out loud. The other two suggestions will be helpful as well, i will be getting both the reefing kit and the razor, however what is a phosphate sponge?

Gotte be honest, i have been getting very discouraged, and i do not even have a single coral in it yet.

efruehauf
04/08/2002, 04:37 PM
Sorry about that Dennis. For some unknown reason I read Lynnfield by mistake. ...long weekend. I'm sure that there is a water source closer than Reading. I'll look into it and let you know if I find one.

In regards to the phosphate sponge, I am not sure if this link will work, but give it a try. KENT PHOSPHATE SPONGE (http://www.thatpetplace.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?UID=2002040817270457&T1=F88+0064+0174&TRAN85=Y&EDP=6798&PRT=D&FNM=10)

You can pick it up at any LFS.

Don't let this get you down. I was in the same boat as you several months back. Once you put this behind you, I promise, there will be something else to worry about. :D Seriously though, if it weren't so challenging, it wouldn't be so rewarding.

innomen/dennis`
04/11/2002, 02:58 PM
Things are getting a bit better. I need to learn when it is okay to panic and do something immediately and when it is okay to sit tight. I think the Poland Springs distilled water has helped.

Erwin, i am still looking for a source of ro/di water. Where is that source in your neck of the woods?

efruehauf
04/11/2002, 10:36 PM
Den,

This is a self-service water center and it is located next to Reading Liquors on RT 28. The address of the liquor store is 345 Main Street.

If you are coming north on RT 128, take the RT 28 READING exit and go about 3 miles and it is on your right hand side right before Burger King.

Regards.