PDA

View Full Version : My Tank

clarktod
01/31/2006, 09:26 PM
Hello everyone,
Just thought I would check in and introduce my tank. It is an Oceanic 125 with two 250 watt XM 20k MH's and 4 96 watt 10k PC's. It is stocked with SPS's, LPS's, Clams, and softies. It has been up and running for about 3.5 years.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=152398&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

Todd

Dakota Reef
01/31/2006, 10:48 PM
Hey Todd, nice looking tank. Welcome to the board. Its great to see more and more local reefers finding this site.

Hey, I just bought some Pom Pom Xenia that had been locally raised from Mini Critters a few weeks ago. Are they from you by any chance?

Phil

clarktod
02/01/2006, 08:19 AM
As far as I know I am the only one who was supplying them with the Pulsing Xenia. If you want any more let me know and we can set up a time.

Todd

Dakota Reef
02/01/2006, 11:50 AM
Appreciate the offer. The piece I bought has been doing fine, acclimated real well, which for me has always been the challenge with Xenia. Once I transition from my 125 to my 270 I might be interested in working out a deal though!!

I really like the color and shape of these Pom Pom's. Plus I've heard it doesn't spread quite as aggressively as some other Xenia types. (Has that been your experience?)

I hadn't kept Xenia for a long time. I lost my whole colony of the elongata type a couple of years ago during a hot summer, I blamed high tank temps but don't know for sure if that was the problem.

clarktod
02/01/2006, 02:53 PM
Dakota,
The Xenia that I have (and now you) grows like weeds and will overrun anything in it's way. I have been able to keep a head of it with monthly cleanings though.

In your post you say that you are going to a 270, do you have plans for your 125?

Todd

Travis
02/01/2006, 03:17 PM
Nice looking tank there clarktod.;)

Where did you originally get your pom-pom xenia from?

I was running a xenia prop tank about 3 years ago for about a year and was bringing about 20-50 heads of elongata, pom-pom, and Fiji pumping xenia in to Mini Critters every 2-3 months. All of those specimens originated from Wet World in Minneapolis. Just curious if the lineage of yours could possible be related to the ones I was trading in there. Not sure about anymore as I rarely go to the fish stores in town, but back then there was also a guy from Sioux City that was bringing up large batches of elongata every once in a while.

Dakota Reef, be careful with that pom-pom. Todd is right that it is a weed and can grow out of control very fast. IME, it is just as much of a weed as elongata. The only xenia I ever had that wasn't a weed was Fiji pumping xenia. Not sure what the scientific name of it was but that is what the store called it when I bought it. It didn't spread like other xenia, but rather grew like a tree. I had one head that had a stalk that was 2.5" thick x 4" tall and the head of it was about 4" around. It did split and produce daughter colonies but not as rapidly as the others.

Dakota Reef
02/01/2006, 07:25 PM
I'll consider myself warned. Although I can't imagine they're harder to get rid of than my infamous Bubble Tip Anemone plague I'm currently dealing with.

Todd - I'll sell the 125. I'll probably keep my 40 gallon breeder as either a quarantine or propagation tank.

Phil

clarktod
02/01/2006, 09:44 PM
Travis -
My colony orginally came from a reefer in Rochester, MN. He was a member of TCMAS so it would not surprise me if it came from Minneapolis.

Dakota Reef -
My brother might be looking for a bigger tank, let me know when you are done with it and what you want out of it.

Todd

Lunchbucket
02/01/2006, 10:10 PM
clark - nice looking tank! nice to see some other people comming to the board! we'll get some stuff started

nice meeting you in MC the otherday also.

keep updating pics of your tank.

see you at the meetings
Lunchbucket

Travis
02/02/2006, 07:45 PM
clarktod, any chance we could get some closer shots of your tank and corals? Full tank shots on a 6 foot tank just don't do any justice.

clarktod
02/02/2006, 10:26 PM
There are a few shots in my Gallery that are closer but I will try and get some more posted this weekend.

Lunchbucket
02/02/2006, 11:39 PM
quite accomidating clarktod is :D

thanks man...can't wait to see more pics!

Lunchbucket

Travis
02/03/2006, 12:08 AM
I checked out your gallery. Very nice. Would love to see more if you get the chance.