PDA

View Full Version : stupid question

saltwaterfishlover
04/03/2002, 06:12 PM
Ok how long before a dead fish will affect your nitrates?

I bought to yellow (citron) clown gobies from john's place saturday.
sunday morning one didnt look to good very thin but was mildly active.
monday morning fish dissapeared. Other fish fine and happy.
Tuesday other fish just plain gone....
not on floor overflows or sump ( no fishes or crabs looking fat and happy eithor).

anyone ever have fish just vanish (i know they are probably under the stack somewhere but)...
how long before the nitrate raises. its 10 now and has been that way for a month or so..

Guy
04/03/2002, 08:30 PM
It may never rise. If it does it should be within 24 hours.

dmorel
04/03/2002, 10:42 PM
Sorry for the losses man, there is nothing that is harder then loosing an animal in this hobby.
I lost a powder blue in the reef once a few months after I set the tank up. Not a chance I could get it out. I did not notice any real effect on the tanks params and I was testing a lot because I was scared...
It did have a pretty devastating effect on me. I waited a couple of months then set up a fish only to keep a new powder blue!

I wouldn't stress too much about it.
Do you have any shrimp or crabs or other scavenger types that will help with the clean up?

-dm

kmagyar
04/03/2002, 11:14 PM
Man I know the feeling. I lost two hippo Tangs in a row. they disappeared to fishy heaven without a damn trace. I had no sign of raised nitrates. But then again I dont test for Nitrates either.

saltwaterfishlover
04/03/2002, 11:18 PM
hey Dave.... I have 3 emeralds a salylightfoot and snails... so scavanging shouldnt be an issue.... just they were neet little fish and only lasted 2.5 days and everyone else is fine.. :o( oh well.

depending on what bryan says anytime this weekend fri sat or sunday is good just need confirmation with my girlfriend for time off LOL... those frogspawn look great btw.... all I know is I got to get an anenome or something els these dang oscelarus clowns will go to other than the goni....

dmorel
04/03/2002, 11:30 PM
The crabs will likely make short work of it, I wouldn't expect any problems with your tank. What I would be wondering is why you lost them both. Unfortunately I can't be much help there, like keith's experience for the most part the fish that I have lost have vanished without a trace.

I had one fairy wrasse that clearly had a bad infection and it didn't live and I lost a puffer in a powerhead accident, but other then that anything that has died either jumped or flat out disappeared. (The year+ six line wrasse that jumped nearly broke my heart).

Saturday is probably best, I have to take my son to a birthday party in the morning, but the afternoon is wide open.
I have three frogspawn. One I want to sell/trade outright, the other two I can frag a nice size head off of either one.

I have been checking out my goni the last few nights, I think it's skeleton is growing which I am very excited about. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up with these corals but...
Check out the shot in the mini gallery I just posted a link to in another thread, the polyps are out a good 6-7 inches!

I do agree that you need to get the clowns away from it though, nothing good can come from that. My understanding is that once they get a rip in their membrane they will go fast. With the clowns slamming around in there the way they do, I would guess it wouldn't be long before you had some troubles.

ReeferMac
04/04/2002, 06:48 AM
I had a 3 inch Copper band Disappear without a trace... noticed one day a large pile of bristle worms in the back corner of the tank and assumed that was where it ended up. If you've got an active sandbed and good scavenger's, a couple of tiny little fish like that shouldn't be a problem at all.
I might be able to help you out with an anemone in a few weeks, w/ any kind luck. My bulb tip usually splits every spring... gotta start feeding her some more maybe, help things along.

- Mac

saltwaterfishlover
04/04/2002, 07:30 AM
thanks KEV that would be much appreciated...saw a nice purple? long tenticle at CF was thinking about but much prefer an orange (LOL) 2 anenome's in a 120 should be ok tho right? I got to get to work and build a darn canapy to finish the tank always somethign to do.....

_ShotgunShrimp_
04/04/2002, 08:19 AM
i currently have 4 anemones in my 120... so far they stay pretty much where they are.. although the lt has moved 2 or three times but always stays on the sandbed... wish one of my bta's would move so i could extract it :) oh well there to smart for that...

Guy
04/04/2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by saltwaterfishlover
a salylightfoot

How big is the Sally???? I've heard they like Gobies.

saltwaterfishlover
04/04/2002, 09:21 AM
HMM BODY IS ABOUT AN INCH OR SO IN DIAMETER LEG SPAN MAYBE 4 OR SO... DOESNT GO AFTER MY NEON GOBIE. BUT THATS AND OPTION? EVICT THE SALLY OR KEEP IT? BENIFITIAL OR NOT? ESPECIALLY WITH 2.5 EMERALDS. (ONE HAS BEEN MISSING A CLAW FOR 4 MONTHS NOW) AFFECTIONATELY CALLED STUMPY

Gary Majchrzak
04/04/2002, 09:43 AM
Although I've heard larger sallylightfoot's are to be avoided, I've kept many {smaller}species over the years.One of the kids fav's!Andy- Keep looking for those gobies- it is possible they are hiding somewhere in the rockwork.I have 8 of them in my system, but you would be hard pressed to locate them! I don't concern myself when fish under 5"-6" disappear.It's a smorgasboard in a large reef system.

saltwaterfishlover
04/04/2002, 10:28 AM
its possisible the could be hiding but who knows.... I just get a couple more than a couple more .... till I cant help but see them or the bodies pileing up LOL..

Gary do yours come out to feed ir they pretty much invisible all the time?

dmorel
04/04/2002, 11:04 AM
I purchased one of those yellow headed gobies that tom had in the critter room at CF cause they are good cleaners and because they are super cool looking.
I put it in my tank it went into some rocks and I never saw it again...
...Until one day two weeks later out of hole in a rock in the back corner of the tank came darting out during feeding time a little gold stripe and was gone faster then I could think:
"What the hell was that?"

Took a few more days until I saw it again.
Now I see it all day everyday hanging out with the naso tang and the clown.

Gary Majchrzak
04/05/2002, 12:36 AM
My gobies,including the shrimp partner goby, are not noticed until the food hits the water.You may want to hold off replacing these gobies if gone,Andy.They are known to nip SPS coral polyps.

_ShotgunShrimp_
04/05/2002, 09:52 AM
these are cool gobies i have a yellow and a purple (now evicted to the seahorse tank) anyways dont buy one again... i may have baby's here fairly soon for sale and trade???? theres spawning every 2 weeks now UGHHHHHHHHHHHH anyhow i believe these gobies are why i lost that huge colony i got from dave :( ... they ate a large bare spot under the coral and not much later total meltdown :(