PDA

View Full Version : stock list for new tank

pmax
04/03/2002, 09:49 AM
It occurs to me that I need some feedback from more experienced FO guys

My tank is more than halfway through the cycle
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 1 on a downward trend.

75 gal, wet dry NO DSB, NO live rock(yet)

my initial plan for stocking is

Lemon peel angel
Lunare or Sunset wrasse
Niger trigger.

my questions are

1: are these all compatible for my tank and each other

2: what order should they be added

Thanks
Pete

cruzer
04/03/2002, 10:13 AM
Hello pmax,

The wrasse and trigger sound okay to me. Have you done much reading on the lemon peel. In my research on them they are not the easiest fish to keep. If you have not looked into them much then you might want to. You may have problems keeping large messy fish with more sensitive fish, especially when you are starting out. JMHO.

HTH, Rob.

pmax
04/03/2002, 05:39 PM
Rob,

Thanks for the input.

I have read that the lemon peel might be a difficult fish, thats why I ask about the importance order of introducing these fish to the tank.

Are they all compatible?
I was hoping if they are compatible that the lemon peel could be introduced later on.

the concern is adding it after the other two, more hardy fish, had established themselves in the tank.

I'm also listening if you have any other nice tankmate suggestions.

Thanks
Pete

cruzer
04/03/2002, 05:55 PM
It really depends on what you want in the end. I think you need to decide if you want an aggressive tank or more of a community tank. If you want an aggressive tank you could add a different type of Trigger like a Huma huma. He/she would be put in last with the other fish on your list. Be carful not to go too big of any of the fish with your tank size. You have picked a couple of in the middle fish as far as aggression goes. I tried a Lemon peel that did not make it. Could have been the fish, my care of him or a multitude of other things. They just do not have a very good track record. You might think of another dwarf angle, but they all require good water quality. Triggers/wrasses are hardy, although should not be kept in a sewage tank either(not saying you would). If you are starting out pick hardy fish and learn with them. Probably not much help, maybe some others have more info for you.

Rob,

billsreef
04/03/2002, 09:56 PM
Your odds of success with a lemon peel will be much higher if you can find one that came from Fiji. The ones from Indo and Phillipines tend to crash in short order.

The lunare gets large (about a foot) and very aggressive. This would be the last fish to add IMO.

realmswalker
04/03/2002, 11:30 PM
I had a lunare wrasse for about two weeks in my tank with a marine beta, a lionfish and some hermit crabs and some snails. the first week he was ok.

Second week he decided to, kill my hermit crabs, scarlets, kill my snails, harass my marine beta, and cause general havoc in my FO tank. he even used to harass me when i would look at him he would try and bite me through the glass, i could hear his teeth scraping on the glass.

When i decided to take him back to my LFS, i had him double bagged in two medium sized plastic bags. well about ten feet from the tank, he flies right THROUGH my bag, 3 feet away. funny as heck now, not so funny when it happened, water all over my floor and a flopping mean as hell fish.

Anyway, wrasses are nice, but if i were you id stay away from them.

Adam

pmax
04/03/2002, 11:54 PM
Adam,

fair enough,

the niger trigger is my fav of the bunch, who would you put with him

realmswalker
04/04/2002, 12:23 AM
Im pretty new to the marine scene, with a niger trigger, maybe you could put a lionfish, do you like those guys. my wrasse stayed far away from him and he eas twice the lions size. any trigger, would be ok, and any puffer, if im wrong on any of this someone correct me, i dont want to give bad advice.

Adam

cruzer
04/04/2002, 12:18 PM
I wanted to get a lunare wrasse when I saterted out. They are nice looking fish. A friend of mine got one and that fish was so active it was like it was on speed. I do not think I could sit and watch him and relax. He was in a 180 so the tank was not too small IMO but was just hyper.

Rob,

Laura D
04/04/2002, 03:08 PM
oops double post

Laura D
04/04/2002, 03:08 PM
It sounds like you are already decided against the lunare, but just in case, I have to say that I had one, and it is the only fish that I ever took back to the LFS. It was just too hard on the other fish, and was a very nervous fish, constantly swimming at top speed.

Made me very uncomfortable, and the other fish constantly hid.

And they are a real pain to catch when you want to get them out!

pmax
04/04/2002, 04:09 PM
I haven't ruled any one in or out (except the niger and he's only 85% certain) looking for suggestions that will get along with the niger

Laura D
04/04/2002, 04:14 PM
Maybe you could go with a different wrasse. I replaced my lunare with a "Christmas" wrasse. Heliochoeres ornatissimus (I think I spelled the genus wrong) He is a very nice, peaceful, yet active wrasse. He eats well, but doesn't stael food from the other fish. I would think that it would get along well with a niger, but I have never had a trigger, so if you like that wrasse, you may want to find out if anyone has kept the two together.