PDA

View Full Version : WTB Rose Anemone

Dbailey2121
04/03/2002, 09:18 AM
Hi all Kieth said that I could maybe find a Rose clone for sale here. I have a very lonley maroon that would love a pal so if you have one let me know. Interested in BTAs too so send me an email or post here with your offers.

Thanks much
Donovan

_ShotgunShrimp_
04/03/2002, 11:49 PM
i have a LT curlyQ anemone Very cool purple with green tentacles... my maroon loves it and her two bta's but since the bta's are getting huge again she doesnt spend as much time in the LTA let me know i can snap a photo and email it if your interested... maybee we can make some trades for it or sumthin...

KBCobra
04/04/2002, 11:05 AM
Pets plus in lockport had about 5 of them a month ago - I think they were all bought but 1, the one they have left is HUGE and may split,but I dont know if they will sell either of the splits - ask Randy he would probably know. I knwo they were getting 225$-250$ a piece when they had them.

-Pat

Playfair
04/04/2002, 11:59 AM
Mines due to split anyday now, but for $200, you can have it!

Beware, they get BIG, mines full grown at over 12" across.

Don't worry Kev, I'd toss you some compensation for our previous deal...

ReeferMac
04/04/2002, 12:40 PM
I'd be surprised if that one goes again in the spring. The guy I got it from said she always split in the fall. Got any recent pic's of that thing? Curious to see how she looks.

- Mac

RandyO
04/05/2002, 03:12 AM
Pet's Plus had some nice Rose Anemones. There is one left, but the color is turning brown. It is pretty big. 200.00 would probably do the trick.

Dbailey2121
04/07/2002, 10:36 PM
Question why are they so crazy expensive? Also for that kind of investment I don't want to kill it. I have 250watt 10.000k HQI MH on a 75 gal tank SPS corals are doing great. no nitrates that I can detect with my kit CA is about 450, PH 8.1 to 8.4 Also do you know if the shop would ship? If so could you leave me a phone #?

Thanks
Donovan

The tank is about 3 months old

Gary Majchrzak
04/07/2002, 10:53 PM
Why IS the price so high for these? Simple answer: Supply vs.Demand.Rose anemones used to go for way less $ in many markets.This is a colorful,hardy species that is being tank propagated.There are many more of them in the trade now than 8 years ago.But demand for this justifiably popular species is at an all-time high.A purple LTA is another type of anemone to buy stock in!

ReeferMac
04/08/2002, 04:01 PM
Geeze, at three months, I'd be hesitant to get an anemone right now. That's not to say you don't know what you're doing or anything, it's just that it takes a system a little while to get "Settled", if you know what I mean. Anemone's are awful sensetive beasts, and it's a ton of money should things turn sour. If you can stand it, I'd hold off for another 3-6 months, just to make sure things have worked themselve's out and you won't be getting any unexpected surprises.

- Mac

Dbailey2121
04/08/2002, 04:49 PM
good Idea I did not know that they were so expensive. I just figured if the SPS corals are doing well they should too

BCooksey
04/08/2002, 07:10 PM
I was at pets plus 2 weeks ago and the rose was not looking happy at all.

RandyO
04/09/2002, 01:01 AM
Its definitely lost its color. Its gets browner every time I look at it.

KBCobra
04/09/2002, 09:39 AM
It really does need more light - whats it under now ? 2 VHO's ?

RandyO
04/11/2002, 01:15 AM
It's under two 95watt pc's. I agree it needs more light.

elvn
04/20/2002, 06:58 PM
I happened to go to the FishPlace just to browse and was unaware of this post at the time , but when I got there and saw it I decided to risk the large rose BTA that had turned brown. It seemed alittle overeactive/shy the first few days, but then it started opening up fully and not deflating/encapsulating completely whenever it was stirred. I moved some LR around today so it can more comfortably spread out fully under one of my two 175w 10k German MH's. (I also have a 55w pc actinic alongside each MH). I suspend my lighting on chains from the ceiling to about 3" to 4" above my 55gal tank, and the canopy is without shielding.
Anyway the anemone is still lt. brown so far but is looking quite healthy. It would freak out whenever I'd attempt to drop food on it the first few days, but today I'm pretty sure I got it to eat a few small pieces of my personal mix. I'm hoping the brown will recede if/when I can get it to accept generous feeding. My pair of percs seem to be warming up to it as well. Steady as she goes :) I'll keep you posted.

elvn
04/20/2002, 06:59 PM
Correction - the store was PetsPLus obviously. I had gone to the fishplace first. :D

ReeferMac
04/21/2002, 06:33 AM
Hey Elvyn Long time no see... Glad the Anemone found a good home.
My Rose E. Quad gets fed about once a week. I go through the tank on Sunday's with a cup of Fish, Krill, Silversides, Prawn, Clam, or whatever else I put in there, Spot feeding inverts, and giving a large pinch to each anemone.

- Mac

kcolagio
04/21/2002, 07:18 PM
I pretty sure that the zooanthellae (the symbiotic algae) is brown, so more brown in an anemone just means that the zooanthellae is higher in count to compensate for the lower lighting.

Putting it under higher lighting would make it reduce the amount of zooanthellae (so it isn't over producing).

It's when anemone's go white that you have to worry. White means that they purged their zooanthellae, or are otherwise on the way out.

These are, of course, general statements, but they tend to explain a brown anemone in lower lighting.