PDA

View Full Version : Digital camera how to question

Bender
04/03/2002, 05:13 AM
Hi everyone, I recently bought a new digicam.It is a minolta d510 3.3 megapixel camera, it isn't the best of the best but it suits my needs. The problen I am having is when I try to take pictures of my tank with the lights on it is like the inside of the tank is glaring and you can't see much. It is not the flash off the glass as I have it turned off. I am sure it is a basic question but I am very new to this camera thing. Any help you can give me will be much appreciated.

Bender

pnosko
04/03/2002, 06:22 AM
Maybe it would help to see a problem picture. Post one.

jersey
04/03/2002, 07:52 AM
Sounds like you need to adjust the exposure. It also helps to aim the camera downward when taking pictures near the top of the tank. With a little trial and error you will get the hang of it. Good luck.

gregr
04/03/2002, 09:33 AM
hi Bender-
i agree with Jersey- it's probably just a matter of adjusting the exposure levels- and being aware of what the meter in your camera is "seeing".
were you shooting in auto mode? as Pnosko said, it'd be great to see a sample.
greg

DALReef
04/03/2002, 10:53 AM
I have a new Coolpix 995 and had the same problem. The pic looked all washed out. I set the white balance to the tank and not white a piece of paper like the manual talked about. Once I set the white balance everything turned out much better.

I also adjusted the image contrast in the camera. It took several tries but I was able to get a true pics.

I don't know if your camera can make those adjustment. But I would bet that it does.

I have a attached pic. You can see that it's still a little dark. But I think it still looks nice.

gregr
04/03/2002, 11:13 AM
you're too hard on yourself- that shot looks great! and i would not call it too dark- do you see the overexposed highlight at the top of the yellow coral? the reason the camera made the shot as dark as it is (a perfect compromise imho) is because the yellow coral is so bright.
very often- in nature and in aquarium settings there is too much contrast for film/digital to handle. in the case of the picture you attached the bright yellow and dark shadowy areas are too far apart for the camera to find a happy medium- so the camera decided the yellow was more important (because it's in the center and takes up so much room) and exposed for that.
the trick is to learn how your meter behaves and to know when a scene requires compensation. the beauty of digital photography is that you can instantly see how your pic came out and make your adjustments right then.
hope this helps,
greg

DALReef
04/03/2002, 11:24 AM
I see what you mean Gregr. It makes since once you explain it like you did.

I am all new at this. The problem though is I think I have found a new hobby. Like a need a new one. Right. Thanks for all advice.