PDA

View Full Version : How to cure base rock ?

charles6299
01/28/2006, 10:30 PM
need'en some more imput here....i just got about 60 lbs. of base rock from a friend....this was in a reef about 4 years ago and has been sitting in dry plastic containers in storage ever since.....how do i go about making this reef safe ? right now i have all the rock in a 55 gallon with about 5 powerheads and air stones to circulate the water.....should i leave it like this for a month or so to clean it up ?.....are there any other concerns i should have ?
Looking forward to the replies !

Reefer247
01/29/2006, 01:57 PM
get your hands on a large skimmer and lots of flow.. :)

STACKER
01/30/2006, 12:29 PM
Dry for 4 years? No problem. Wash them well with luke warm water then submerge in a tub or even 5 gal. buckets and a powerhead to circulate water. After 24 hrs take them out and rinse again. Toss the waterin the tub or buckets and repeat until it stays clear. Salt water and a skimmer in dead rock is a waste of time, effort, and money. After you are happy with it's cleanliness you can add it to a new tank and cycle it all together or do a sand trade and charge cycle the rock in an extra tank/tub or place one piece at a time in an established system for a week or 2 to colonize it. Pretty simple actually