PDA

View Full Version : Seio Super Flow

reefrubble
01/28/2006, 08:22 PM
Has anyone had a Seio Super Flow go bad? IF so what happened.

Ted

robthorn
01/30/2006, 01:50 PM
I know someone who has had quite a few break shafts. no clue why or how but it happens to ceramic shafts alot.

reefrubble
01/30/2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks Rob, at least that won't kill anything in the tank. Ted

jokeefe727@aol.com
01/30/2006, 08:00 PM
I have 3 or 4 broken ones you can have they are junk . Can't use with a wave maker they brake. The last one shorted out almost lost all my fish I just got shocked. TUNZE are the BEST expensive but worth it. Good things aren't cheap and cheap things aren't good.

gdm42001
01/30/2006, 08:28 PM
The Turbine impeller Makes great sense, the impellers in standard powerheads are very inefficient.

However, These are made by TAAM
Same maker as RIO Pumps
Nuff Said

Check out this other RIO thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6627132#post6627132)

robthorn
01/31/2006, 07:43 AM
ted what do you mean kill things in the tank? do you know something or just making a comment?

reefrubble
01/31/2006, 08:17 AM
No Rob,I don't know anything about the Sieo pumps,thats why I started this thread. I just know the Rio pumps are junk IMO,and like gdm stated they are both made by TAAM. I'm just trying to find out if the Rio,and the Sieo share the same genes. Ted

robthorn
01/31/2006, 09:14 AM
was just hoping you weren't saying tunze was having problems or something since I have one again. :)

MacnReef
01/31/2006, 01:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6627221#post6627221 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gdm42001
However, These are made by TAAM
Same maker as RIO Pumps
Nuff Said

No, not "Nuff Said". The SEIO pumps are great little pumps in my opinion. Rio does make them BUT Rio had fire issues with their standard motors, which these do not use. For some reason, people continue to buy the junkie rio pumps even with all of the "Warning" threads out there.

Rio started making another pump after having all of the issues with the fire problems out of a different factory. Those pumps did very well but a lot of people didn't buy them because of the rep that Rio had. Then Rio started making the SEIO pumps using the motors from the new pumps at the other factory.

Now I have heard about starting issues with SEIO pumps but if you look at a lot of signatures, you will see that a lot of people use SEIO's and I only hear a few complaints.

Mike

robthorn
01/31/2006, 03:52 PM
motor fire under water? hmmmm that would mean it is probably made from magnesium which should be a good sign since that is what some aircraft engines are made of. unless of course if someone ran them dry I guess they could catch fire but they say you shouldn't do that anyway so not sure how that works. I used rio pumps for years without incident besides maybe an impeller replacement once in a while. I still have a few I use for mixing and stuff. all companies have bad and good pieces that work and that don't. I think what I see is they work great while they are working but are not what some consider reliable like the higher end pumps. I needed some big in tank pumps and went with tunze because I don't want to worry about a breaking shafts and I want alternating current.
ted have you decided what you are going to do yet? how was the meeting anyway? we are painting and tiling and moving the new tank in soon so we are pretty busy lately. I saw petmart had some of the bright yellowish/orange with red spot gorgonia looking stugg for $15 but I wasn't going to be able to get it home in anytime soon so I had to pass it up. I thought about you when I saw it just bad timing

MacnReef
01/31/2006, 04:16 PM
Well, I see you have been around awhile, so I am shocked that you haven't heard of the rio fires in the past. It isn't always the pump that catches on fire, it can be the cord or plug. If the proper size gauge wire is not used to carry the current the distance of the cord, the cord would heat up and possibly catch on fire.

If the dang search button ever worked on this site I would show you many cases of fires from Rio pumps.

Mike

robthorn
01/31/2006, 04:53 PM
I totally agree with the search button. they usually use something like a lamp chord which should carry way more current than needed for the small amount of current they use. must have shorted inside or something. no need to be shocked I only read what I want and feel necessary. anyway hopefully no fires with the seio stuff I haven't heard anything like that at least

glyle41
01/31/2006, 08:07 PM
I have used the seio pumps have nothing but good things to say about them i think john down at Ichthy even is using a few of them in his tanks when he doesnt need the flow from the almighty Tunze