PDA

View Full Version : Powder Blue meets scalpel

racer69
01/27/2006, 03:10 PM
I think my Yellow Tang got my PBT with her scalpel fin. He has a 1/4" thin cut on his side, and I have seen them doing their war dance with each other. Although this is the first time I have seen any injuries.

Will this gash heal on its own? He is still acting normal (swimming, eating like a horse etc..), but I just noticed it this afternoon at lunch.

murfman
01/27/2006, 03:35 PM
keep and eye out for infection. as long as it does not get infected, it should heal. if you have uv/ozone, you might want to run it to kill any bacteria. if it does get infected, you should be able to get some antibiotics at the pet store to feed the PB.

racer69
01/27/2006, 04:56 PM
The only problem with antibiotics is, I don't want to treat the whole tank. I know I won't be able to catch that fish in a 180. I will wait and see if it gets infected or not.

calvin415
01/27/2006, 05:02 PM
Todd, I've got that 15W UV if you want to hook it up...

murfman
01/27/2006, 05:43 PM
i have some tetrocycline if you need it.

Crit21
01/27/2006, 07:19 PM
I found a way to catch fish in a large reef tank. You need two long sticks (I used 1" x 1" x 3'), some nylon window screen (washed clean of manufacturing residue) tall enough to reach from the waterline to the sand, and at least a couple feet long, and a heavy duty stapler. Staple the screen to each stick so you can use the sticks to hold the screen upright and flush with the tank bottom. If the screen is too long to fit between the cross braces on top of the tank, just notch it at the top so it fits under it. spread the screen along one side of the tank. I found that because the lip of the tank kept me from making a tight seal against the glass at one end, the tangs could slip through. To make it tight, I used my glass cleaning magnets to hold the screen against the glass halfway down. Leave the other end wide open. Wait an hour for them to get used to the screen in the tank, then add some food in the closed end of the trap. once one starts eating it, the others will follow. Use the stick to close th other end and you can net them so you can treat them outside the tank. It worked great for me on multiple occasions, including on wiley tangs.

murfman
01/29/2006, 11:42 AM
Dan was a Phillipino fisherman in another life ;=)

me, i'd just use a grenade when i get too ****ed off after chasing them with a net for an hour.

Crit21
01/30/2006, 04:24 PM
Using explosives to catch fish is not a practice endorsed by responsible reef keepers. Use cyanide!

justmiles
01/30/2006, 04:36 PM
I have heard of someone catching a troublesome Damsel with a treble hook on some 5lb test.

racer69
01/30/2006, 08:10 PM
Great news! My PB is one tough mother. He has already all but healed. I can barely see the cut, and it is closed up with no swelling.

The grenade idea was going to be my first alternative though. LOL

Leopard Wrasse
01/30/2006, 09:09 PM
Glad the PBT is healing well.